The days of goalkeepers being underappreciated are long gone. Everybody knows you need a top-quality player operating between the sticks to have any hopes of a successful season.
As a result, the Premier League is home to some of the world’s finest shot-stoppers as clubs look to maximise the marginal gains a competent goalkeeper can bring to the table.
However, measuring a goalkeeper’s importance is a tricky task. Some weighting is clearly given to the amount of saves they make, but those who represent teams fighting relegation are usually busier than those in a title race.
Clean sheets are also far from a perfect metric given that the calibre of finishing in England’s top tier can often see a goalkeeper’s record muddied through no real fault of their own.
Whichever side of the fence you’re on, Squawka has you covered. We’ve put together a list of Premier League goalkeepers with the most saves during the 2019/20 season so far – as well as a tally of those with the highest number of clean sheets, who will be in with a shout of winning the Golden Glove award.
Most saves: Premier League 2019/20 season
Players with the same amount of saves are separated by minutes played.
1. Martin Dubravka: 93 saves (2,070 minutes)
2. Bernd Leno: 85 saves (2,070 minutes)
3. Mat Ryan: 82 saves (2,070 minutes)
4. Tim Krul: 75 saves (1,890 minutes)
5. Ben Foster: 74 saves (2,070 minutes)
6. Aaron Ramsdale: 73 saves (1,980 minutes)
7. Nick Pope: 70 saves (2,070 minutes)
8. Tom Heaton: 68 saves (1,795 minutes)
9. Vicente Guaita: 63 saves (1,890 minutes)
10. Kasper Schmeichel: 63 saves (2,070 minutes)
Golden Glove standings: Most clean sheets for 2019/20 season
Kasper Schmeichel: 8
Dean Henderson: 8
Ben Foster: 8
Nick Pope: 7
Jordan Pickford: 6
Vicente Guaita: 6
Martin Dubravka: 6
Mat Ryan: 5
Kepa Arrizabalaga: 5
Rui Patricio: 4
Lukasz Fabianski: 4
Tom Heaton: 4
Bernd Leno: 4
Aaron Ramsdale: 4
David de Gea: 4
(Correct as of Gameweek 23 – 20:00, 19/01/2020)