The days of goalkeepers being under-appreciated are long gone. Everybody knows you need a top-quality player operating between the sticks to have any hopes of a successful season.
As a result, the Premier League is home to some of the world’s finest shot-stoppers as clubs look to maximise the marginal gains a competent goalkeeper can bring to the table.
However, measuring a goalkeeper’s importance is a tricky task. Some weighting is clearly given to the amount of saves they make, but those who represent teams fighting relegation are usually busier than those in a title race.
Clean sheets are also far from a perfect metric given that the calibre of finishing in England’s top tier can often see a goalkeeper’s record muddied through no real fault of their own.
Whichever side of the fence you’re on, Squawka has you covered. We’ve put together a list of Premier League goalkeepers with the most saves during the 2019/20 season so far – as well as a tally of those with the highest number of clean sheets, who will be in with a shout of winning the Golden Glove award.
Most saves: Premier League 2019/20 season
Players with the same amount of saves are separated by minutes played.
1. Martin Dubravka: 114 saves (2,430 minutes)
2. Bernd Leno: 98 saves (2,430 minutes)
3. Aaron Ramsdale: 94 saves (2,340 minutes)
4. Tim Krul: 90 saves (2,250 minutes)
5. Mat Ryan: 89 saves (2,430 minutes)
6. Ben Foster: 86 saves (2,430 minutes)
7. Nick Pope: 84 saves (2,430 minutes)
8. Vicente Guaita: 77 saves (2,250 minutes)
9. Rui Patricio: 74 saves (2,430 minutes)
10. Kasper Schmeichel: 74 saves (2,430 minutes)
(Correct as of Gameweek 27 – 22:00 24/02/2020)
Golden Glove standings: Most clean sheets for 2019/20 season
Nick Pope: 10
Dean Henderson: 9
Kasper Schmeichel: 9
Ben Foster: 8
Martin Dubravka: 7
David de Gea: 7
Rui Patricio: 7
Vicente Guaita: 7
Jordan Pickford: 6
Bernd Leno: 6
Kepa Arrizabalaga: 5
Mat Ryan: 5
Lukasz Fabianski: 4
Tom Heaton: 4
Tim Krul: 4
Aaron Ramsdale: 4
Alex McCarthy: 4