Ole Gunnar Solskjaer believes Anthony Martial has what it takes to become a 20-goal-a-season striker for Manchester United.
The French forward has scored nine goals in 20 Premier League appearances so far this season and took his total in all competitions to 14 with his strike against Club Brugge in the Europa League on Thursday night.
Can Martial emulate Zlatan’s goalscoring? Five things to know…
- Martial joined Man Utd from Monaco for £36m in 2015, with add-ons potentially taking the fee to £58m.
- He scored 17 goals in all competitions during his first season at Old Trafford but hasn’t matched that since.
- United haven’t had a player score 20 goals in a single season since Romelu Lukaku in 2017/18.
- Marcus Rashford currently has 19 while Martial is on 14.
- Solskjaer has backed the France international to hit the 20-mark this season.
The Red Devils haven’t had a player score 20 goals in a single season since Romelu Lukaku netted 27 in 51 games during the 2017/18 campaign but Solskjaer has backed Marital to buck that trend — also suggesting Marcus Rashford could return to fitness in time to add to his 19 strikes this term.
“Well Marcus has got 19, don’t forget, and if we can get him back on the pitch [he will score more],” Solskjaer responded when asked by reporters whether United have a 20-goal striker at their disposal.
“But yeah, I think Anthony can step up and get a few more and get to the 20 mark, yeah.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Solskjaer calls on Martial to become “stronger”
Solskjaer was full of praise for Martial in the aftermath of United’s 1-1 draw with Club Brugge but did call upon the former Monaco man to become physically stronger as he adjusts to a more central role.
“Well he’s got quality, of course, he’s a very good finisher,” the United manager added.
“He takes his chances really well, he has good technique in his finishing, he’s good receiving the ball at times and good at dropping off.
“He is playing like a false nine at times as well. Sometimes I’d like him to be stronger physically but that will come.”
United face Watford on Sunday.