Graeme Souness has admitted he is worried Barcelona and Real Madrid will attempt to lure Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah to La Liga this summer.
The Liverpool duo have been in fine form over the course of the last two seasons, with Salah scoring in last weekend’s 2-0 Champions League final victory over Tottenham Hotspur.
Will the La Liga giants target Mane and Salah? Five key things to know…
- Mane and Salah have been two of the Premier League’s most consistent performers since the beginning of last season.
- The pair shared the Premier League Golden Boot with Arsenal’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang this term, hitting 22 goals each.
- Barcelona and Real Madrid have been known to pursue England’s best players, with Philippe Coutinho joining the former last year, and the latter recently agreeing a deal for Chelsea’s Eden Hazard.
- Real, in particular, are said to be plotting a squad overhaul this summer.
- Mane and Salah have four years remaining on their current Liverpool contracts.
Mane enjoyed the best goalscoring season of his career in 2018/19, finding the net 26 times across all competitions.
Salah failed to match his incredible goal tally from 2017/18 (44), but still finished the Premier League campaign as joint-top scorer.
And Souness, who won five league titles and three European Cups with Liverpool, fears Real Madrid and Barcelona will be interested in Mane and Salah in the near future.
“Real Madrid and Barcelona will be sniffing around Salah and Mane and I think one of them will be targeted this summer,” Souness told the Irish Independent.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“Both of those clubs are in the process of rebuilding and they tend to tempt any player when they go after them.
“Liverpool are a massive football club and they have proved they are back on top after reaching the Champions League final for two years in succession, but a lot of players find it hard to say no when Real Madrid and Barcelona go after you.
“We saw that in the past with Luiz Suarez and Philippe Coutinho and even though they enjoyed playing for Liverpool, their heads were turned when Barcelona wanted them. That will happen again now with Salah and Mane.”