Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Leonardo has confirmed Neymar can leave this summer if the price is right.
The 27-year-old forward is currently recovering from a serious ankle injury which kept him from participating in Brazil’s recent Copa America success but has been constantly linked with returning to former club Barcelona.
Citing that he no longer wanted to be in Lionel Messi’s shadow Neymar, in the summer of 2017, engineered a move to nouveau riche PSG who made him the world’s most expensive footballer by triggering his £200m release clause.
For many, this was a marriage of convenience. Neymar would be given a platform where he’d be the main man whilst the Parisians inherited a generational footballer that could help them win the one prize that had eluded them.
However, nothing to date has changed, PSG remain first among equals in France and they are no closer to bringing the European Cup to the French capital. To make things worse, Neymar has been plagued with injuries, missing a total of 47 matches (spanning 264 days) across two seasons.
Despite these issues, he’s still a valuable commodity. In 58 games Neymar would score 51 goals, but it seems the PSG project is no longer for him. Reports suggest the Brazilian is keen to play for Barça again and incoming sporting director and compatriot Leonardo will not stand in his way but the French champions must be appropriately recompensed.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“Neymar can leave PSG if there is an offer that suits everyone. We have not received any offers. But we had, it’s true, very superficial contacts [with Barcelona],” he told La Parisien.
How has Neymar fared in France? Five key things to know…
- Neymar became the world’s most expensive footballer when PSG signed him from Barcelona, after triggering his release clause, for £200m in 2017.
- His inaugural season ended prematurely due to a serious ankle injury, though he still managed to bag 28 goals and 16 assists in 30 matches.
- The following 2018/19 campaign, which Neymar registered 23 goals and 13 assists in 28 outings, was along injury-plagued.
- His present deal in Paris expires in June 2022.
- Neymar made 186 appearances for Barcelona (2013-17) scoring 105 goals in the process