Only one player player in Bundesliga history reached 10 goals faster than Erling Haaland
Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Braut Haaland has picked up right where he left off following the resumption of the Bundesliga this week.
The 19-year-old Norwegian marksman swapped Red Bull Salzburg for the Westfalenstadion in January amid interest from Juventus and Manchester United and hasn’t looked back since.
Five key things to know about the rise and rise of Erling Haaland…
- Haaland swapped Red Bull Salzburg for Borussia Dortmund in January 2020 after scoring 28 goals in 22 games earlier this season (no wonder Juventus and Manchester United are reportedly among the clubs who missed out on him).
- After 20-minute hat-trick on debut at FC Augsburg, Haaland added six more across his next five league appearances.
- He became the first player in history to score eight goals in their first five Bundesliga games in the process.
- He is also the first teenager to score 10 goals in a single Champions League campaign and is the fastest player ever to do so.
- Haaland scored his tenth Bundesliga goal against rivals Schale 04, becoming the second-fastest to reach that milestone only behind former BVB star Paco Alcácer.
Erling Haaland is 19 years old and has already made Champions League history in many ways.
He'll be back. 🧘♂️pic.twitter.com/A8UX3x9HhD
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) March 12, 2020
Europe’s fastest-rising star would bag nine goals across his opening eight league outings including a 20-minute hat-trick on debut against FC Augsburg.
His efforts saw him become the first player in Germany’s top division to register eight goals after playing five games. Heading into the Revierderby to face bitter rivals Schalke 04, though, Haaland had been on a 141-minute goalless streak.
It would come to an end just before the half-hour mark when he converted a Thorgan Hazard cross past Markus Schubert en route to a 4-0 win for Lucien Favre’s men. Another milestone met, but Haaland must settle for a place as only the second-quickest player to hit ten Bundesliga goals.
Fastest players to reach 10 Bundesliga goals in the competition's history:
❍ Paco Alcácer (🤯)
❍ Erling Haaland
❍ Gert 'Charly' Dörfel
Paco scored with each of his first 10 shots on target in nearly half the time of Haaland. pic.twitter.com/aLRna154Jd
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) May 16, 2020
That honour currently belongs to former BVB star Paco Alcácer, who netted his tenth strike having played 281 minutes while Haaland had 259 more under his belt. The previous record was in possession of Gert Dörfel of Hamburg; he’d managed the feat in 668 minutes.
Alcácer’s efforts are more impressive when you consider he was never really a guaranteed starter and that he’d scored with each of his first 10 shots on target. In fact, he is the first player in history to score 10 goals as a substitute within a single German top-flight campaign.
Paco Alcácer has had ten shots on target for club & country since joining Borussia Dortmund:
He’s scored with every single one. 🎯 pic.twitter.com/7T5eVH4Qm8
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) October 15, 2018
Haaland’s signing ultimately led to Alcacer joining Villarreal and before La Liga temporarily closed its doors he managed only two goals in six league outings.