Atletico Madrid forward Joao Felix has been named the 2019 Golden Boy after a stellar year at Benfica and the Wanda Metropolitano.
The Portuguese ace joined Diego Simeone’s men in the summer from Benfica for a club-record £113m and has since made a blistering start to life in the Spanish capital.
How good has Felix been in 2019? Five things to know…
- Felix helped guide Benfica to a record 37th Primeira Liga title last season.
- He also became the youngest player in Europa League history to score a hat-trick.
- Felix played a part in Portugal winning the inaugural Nations League back in June.
- He joined Atleti for £113m in the summer and soon became the youngest player to score a Champions League goal for the club.
- Felix is only the second Portuguese player to win the award after Renato Sanches (2016).
The 20-year-old phenom scored 20 goals and provided 11 assists across all competitions as Benfica reclaimed the Portuguese top-flight title in 2018/19.
His exploits earned him the Primeira Liga’s ‘Best Young Player of the Year’ award, while he was also handed a first international cap for Portugal.
Since bursting into Fernando Santos’ side he has racked up four appearances and played a part as his homeland triumphed in the inaugural National League against the Netherlands last June.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
This season Felix has already taken part in 13 games for Atletico Madrid club, scoring three goals and providing one assist in all competitions.
He netted in the Champions League against Lokomotiv Moscow earlier this campaign, becoming the youngest player to score in the competition for the club as a result.
Felix has beaten the likes of Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho, goalscoring machine Erling Braut Haaland and former recipient of the accolade Matthijs de Ligt.