Zenit Saint Petersburg have confirmed they are in talks with Barcelona over the signing of Brazilian winger Malcom.
The Russian club’s president, Alexander Medvedev, has suggested negotiations are progressing but Zenit are seemingly unwilling to meet Barcelona’s £36m asking price.
Malcom’s first season at Barcelona: Five key things to know…
- Barcelona signed Malcom from Bordeaux last summer.
- He made 24 appearances across all competitions in his first season at Camp Nou, scoring four goals.
- The Brazilian played just 15 times in La Liga, scoring once.
- Three Premier League clubs – Arsenal, Everton and Spurs – have been credited with an interest in him.
- But Malcom appears to be on his way to Zenit – if a fee can be agreed.
Malcom endured a difficult first season at Barcelona, making just 15 La Liga appearances and scoring four goals across all competitions.
The 22-year-old has four more years remaining on his contract with the Spanish champions, but Medvedev has told Russian online newspaper Fontanka that Zenit could sign him in the coming weeks.
He said: “Negotiations for Malcom are advanced with Barcelona and we’re going through an active and decisive phase.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“[£36m is] a number a long way from reality.”
The arrival of Antoine Griezmann at the Camp Nou will reduce Malcom’s game time even further, while the club’s pursuit of Neymar could all but end his chances of playing regularly next term.
Barcelona will be aiming to retain the La Liga title in 2019/20 while attempting to bounce back from their painful defeat to Liverpool in the Champions League semi-finals.