Lautaro Martinez is on the radar of football’s “best teams” but he is only focused on Inter Milan, according to his agent.
The Argentine marksman has a contact with Inter running till 2023 but is one of Europe’s most coveted strikers after having scored 16 times in all competitions this season.
Could Inter lose Lautaro Martinez to Barcelona? Five things to know…
- Barca are in the market for a long-term successor to Luis Suarez, while, over in Madrid, Karim Benzema turns 33 this year.
- Real Madrid have had little success with Luka Jovic while Martin Braithwaite was only brought to the Camp Nou as an emergency signing.
- Barca sporting director Eric Abidal fuelled speculation by describing Martinez as a “complete player” last winter…
- …before Martinez’s agent said reports claiming La Liga’s reigning champions are interest in his client are “true”.
- Meanwhile, Inter CEO Beppe Marotta said in December: “If Lautaro wants to leave we will evaluate the situation.”
The Argentine is not allowing his head to be turned by links to Spain’s two biggest clubs, according to Beto Yaque.
Martinez’s representative said: “It’s been said that Barcelona and Real Madrid both want him, but for him it’s like nothing is happening. Others wouldn’t sleep at night.
“He never calls me to ask if the rumours are true, he’s focused on where he is and his work.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“We’ve talked to lots of people, but nothing more than that. For now, those who are calling me aren’t directly registered by various clubs.
“There’s nothing formal or serious. Being wanted on the market is something you dream of, but he’s not expecting anything: all he wants to do is play and score goals.
“His constant growth means the best teams in the world are looking at Lautaro with interest. We hope his efforts will be rewarded like they deserve to.”
Inter are third in the Serie A table, nine points behind Juventus but with a game in hand. Between them and the Scudetto holders are Lazio, just one point off the top. However, the decision was taken to suspend the season due to the coronavirus outbreak until May 3 at least.