In a game that should have implications for both ends of the Bundesliga table, Wolfsburg host Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday afternoon.
Wolfsburg consolidated their place in the final Europa League spot thanks to an impressive, and somewhat surprising, 4-1 win over top-four challengers Bayer Leverkusen. They are now four points clear of seventh-placed Freiburg, who drew 3-3 with Saturday’s opponents Eintracht Frankfurt.
The Eagles twice had to come from behind to earn a point at home, including recovering from 3-1 down with just under 15 minutes remaining. However, the point means they remain on the outskirts of the relegation battle, sitting five points ahead of Fortuna Dusseldorf in the play-off place.
Although Eintracht are more comfortable than other teams around them, the Eagles will look to their poor form as a warning side that they are not safe just yet. But can they turn that form around this weekend, or will Wolfsburg build on their massive win in midweek?
Where to watch Wolfsburg v Eintracht Frankfurt on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 2
- US: Fox Sports 2
Where to live stream the game:
UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Wolfsburg vs Eintracht Frankfurt live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware.
US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Wolfsburg & Eintracht Frankfurt’s confirmed lineups:
— VfL Wolfsburg (@VfL_Wolfsburg) May 30, 2020
- Wolfsburg: Casteels; Mbabu, Pongracic, Brooks, Roussillon; Steffen, Arnold, Schlager, Victor; Weghorst, Brekalo
Following their 4-1 win at Bayer Leverkusen manager Oliver Glasner sees no reason to change his starting lineup.
— Eintracht Frankfurt (@Eintracht) May 30, 2020
- Eintracht Frankfurt: Trapp; Abraham, Hasebe, Hinteregger; Chandler, Kohr, Rode, Kostic; Kamada; Gacinovic, Silva
Eintracht are missing Stefan Ilsanker after he picked up his fifth yellow card of the season last time out against Freiburg.
Players to watch:
- Wolfsburg: Maximilian Arnold was the star of the show in Wolfsburg’s 4-1 win over Leverkusen on Tuesday. He was directly involved in three of his side’s four goals and, remarkably, all three of his involvements came from free-kicks. Two he assisted through pinpoint crosses, either side of his slightly-deflected goal from just outside the area. Those who have watched Arnold throughout the season and his career in general will not be surprised by the 26-year-old’s talent for set-pieces. Only Christopher Trimmel (39) has created more chances from set pieces than Arnold’s 36 this season. Trimmel is also the only player to record more assists from set pieces in the Bundesliga than Arnold, at seven to the Wolfsburg star’s five.
What is going on?! 😳
Marin Pongračić rises to head Wolfsburg 4-0 up away to Leverkusen! 🟢
The hosts had been flying since the season resumed! pic.twitter.com/ofmLnCR5E7
— 🇩🇪Ja! Watch the Bundesliga live on BT Sport🇩🇪 (@btsportfootball) May 26, 2020
- Eintracht Frankfurt: Talking of chance creators, Eintracht have one of their own in Sebastian Rode. The 29-year-old joined Eintracht permanently in the summer having spent the second half of last season on loan from Borussia Dortmund but had a slow start. However, since the league returned in May, Rode has been at his best creatively at the heart of Eintracht’s midfield. In his past three games, Rode has created eight chances with only Thomas Muller (nine) managing more in the Bundesliga (worth noting, too, is that Rode managed just 12 chances created in his first 20 league games this season). But no player has recorded more assists than Rode’s three in the past three Bundesliga games, although the German hasn’t been able to influence a win for the Eagles.
Scoreline prediction: Wolfsburg 2-1 Eintracht Frankfurt
Bundesliga 2019/20 recent form:
- Wolfsburg: WLWDD
- Eintracht Frankfurt: DLLLL