Both Wolfsburg and Borussia Dortmund returned to winning ways last weekend and will lock horns at the Volkswagen Arena this Saturday as the Bundesliga cranks up another gear.
The hosts are unbeaten in seven league games and currently engaged in a four-way battle for sixth (the final Europa League qualification place) and they consolidated their standing in the coveted spot with a dramatic late winner against relegation-threatened Augsburg last time out.
Daniel Ginczek’s 91st-minute winner ensured three points headed to Lower Saxony and put the Wolves two points clear of Schalke in seventh. Oliver Glasner’s side face a tricky contest away to Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday so could do with points on home soil in this particular fixture, even if it is one they have struggled with in recent seasons; Dortmund have won in each of their last four visits while scoring 11 times and conceding twice. Even more miserable is the fact it is four years since Wolfsburg even scored against BVB, and that was in a 5-1 home defeat.
Dortmund too secured maximum reward on their return to action, though in much more convincing fashion by putting four past Schalke in a comprehensive Revierderby win. The result maintained a four-point gap between themselves and table-toppers Bayern Munich.
Lucien Favre’s men also face a tough midweek encounter on matchday 28, colliding with Bayern in what will surely be a proverbial six-pointer for the title. Anything other than a win this weekend could scupper their chances of domestic success.
BVB cruised to a 3-0 win last time these sides met, back in November, but can the away side maintain their current form? Or will Wolfsburg add yet another twist to this fascinating title race?
Where to watch Wolfsburg v Borussia Dortmund on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 1
- US: Fox Soccer Plus
Where to live stream the game:
- UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Wolfsburg vs Borussia Dortmund live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware.
- US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Wolfsburg vs Borussia Dortmund confirmed line-ups:
— VfL Wolfsburg (@VfL_Wolfsburg) May 23, 2020
- Wolfsburg: Casteels; Mbabu, Pongracic, Brooks, Roussillon; Mehmedi, Schlager, Arnold, Steffen; Ginczek, Weghorst.
Wout Weghorst and Daniel Ginczek both return to Wolfsburg’s starting lineup with Joao Victor dropping out.
— Borussia Dortmund (@BVB) May 23, 2020
- Borussia Dortund: Bürki; Piszczek, Hummels, Akanji; Hakimi, Delaney, Dahoud, Guerreiro; Hazard, Haaland, Brandt.
Jadon Sancho again starts on the bench. Marco Reus is out with the German forward continuing to struggle with an abductor strain, which could keep him out for the rest of the season.
Players to watch:
- Wolfsburg: The talisman for the Wolves this season has undoubtedly been club icon Maximilian Arnold. The one-time Germany international is the only Wolfsburg player to feature in 25 or more Bundesliga games this campaign. He is of that rare breed of one-club players, having made over 250 appearances for the club despite being linked to Juventus and Arsenal as a 19-year-old against a backdrop of comparisons with Mesut Ozil. That was six years ago, though. Today, Arnold is Wolfsburg’s midfield fulcrum, pulling the strings, having created more chances than any player at the club this term (61), and setting the tempo for their play.
- Borussia Dortmund: There really is only one player on the lips of every BVB fan at the moment. Or, at least, there’s only one player earning comparisons to Ronaldo (Nazario). In either case, his name is Erling Braut Haaland. The teenage superstar has taken to German football like a duck to water, netting 10 Bundesliga goals in only nine games; only Paco Alcacer hit that goalscoring milestone in quicker time. Though unwilling to draw too many premature parallels, World Cup winner Rivaldo liked what he saw so much he wrote: “Some people are already comparing Haaland’s style to Ronaldo Nazario and there might be some similarities as Haaland, as he’s quick, fearless and scores a lot, but it’s too early to start thinking he will be Ronaldo’s successor […] we need time to see if Haaland can reach Ronaldo’s level. But Haaland does seem to have the qualities to at least get close to my brilliant team-mate.”
Scoreline prediction: Wolfsburg 1-3 Borussia Dortmund
Bundesliga 2019/20 table and recent form:
- Wolfsburg: WDDWW
- Dortmund: WWWWW
1. Bayern Munich (58)
2. Borussia Dortmund (54)
3. Gladbach (52)
4. RB Leipzig (51)
The defending champions increase their lead at the top of the table to four points. pic.twitter.com/AE5dZRxl82
— Squawka News (@SquawkaNews) May 17, 2020