Roy Hodgson expects Crystal Palace to be confronted with renewed transfer interest in mercurial winger Wilfried Zaha.
The 27-year-old Ivorian forward was heavily linked with a move away from Selhurst Park in the summer but a transfer never materialised.
How has Zaha done in 2019/20 so far? Five key things to know…
- Zaha was reportedly keen to leave Crystal Palace in the summer but a move did not take place.
- The midfielder is one of two players to feature in every Premier League game for Palace this season.
- He’s registered two goals and one assist in those 14 outings.
- No one has completed more take-ons (64) than him in the Premier League this season.
- Palace boss Hodgson now fears renewed interest to sign Zaha following another star turn.
Zaha himself was reportedly keen to make a switch due to his desire to play Champions League football. Arsenal were strongly linked, despite not playing in European football’s premier competition, but they ultimately opted for Lille winger – and Zaha’s compatriot – Nicolas Pépé.
He has since put the transfer rumours aside to re-establish himself as one of the Eagles’ stars this season and recently scored in their 2-0 win at Turf Moor against Burnley.
It was a showing that reminded everyone what Zaha is capable of and, with a winter transfer window approaching, Hodgson is under no illusions that a rival club could soon come knocking at the door.
“We’ve never wanted to lose him, but when a player does exceptionally well it’s not always that easy to keep hold of them,” he told reporters.
“We can’t say to Wilf, ‘You’ve got to stay with us because we’ll be Champions League next year’. So there might come a time where we’re confronted with that situation again.
“But, until that day arrives, I’ll carry on working with him, being happy to be working with him and happy that we’ve got a player of his ability to help us win matches.”
Palace currently occupy 11th place in the Premier League table but could climb into the top half with victory over Bournemouth on Tuesday night.