West Ham are reportedly considering a summer move for Bournemouth forward Ryan Fraser.
The 25-year-old Scottish winger has been near ever-present under Eddie Howe at Dean Court this season and sees his present deal with The Cherries expire in June.
Ryan Fraser the man to solve West Ham’s creative struggles? Five key things to know…
- Only five Premier League clubs (Sheffield United, Bournemouth, Newcastle United, Burnley and Crystal Palace) have created fewer chances than West Ham this season (194).
- Robert Snodgrass is the Hammers’ creator-in-chief with 28 chances created – the vast majority of which (20) come from set-pieces.
- Ryan Fraser, also his club’s dead-ball specialist, leads the way for Bournemouth on 35, a total more than David Silva (31) and Mesut Özil (30).
- Fraser’s contract with the Cherries is up in June, and West Ham are keen to bring him to east London next summer, the Mirror writes – although they may face competition.
- Fraser odds* – To Sign For Before 1st February 2020: Liverpool (7/2), Chelsea (14/1), Leicester City (25/1)
*Provided by William Hill. You must be 18+ and Gamble Aware to bet.
Whether it be Manuel Pellegrini in charge or his replacement David Moyes, creating chances has been a problem of sorts for West Ham this season.
Across their opening 23 league outings, they have created no fewer than 194 goalscoring opportunities (or 10.7 every 90 minutes). That’s the sixth-fewest by a Premier League club so far.
Robert Snodgrass presently leads the way for the Hammers on 28, but only eight of those have come from open play and just were converted into a goal.
As such, and with their top-flight status on the line – they sit above the danger zone, currently, by virtue of a superior goal-difference – Moyes is said to be keen on bolstering his creative options next term, specifically by signing Fraser from Bournemouth.
Only James Maddison (100) and Eden Hazard (98) created more chances than Fraser (93) last season.
Although Fraser has failed to reproduce this level of output in the current campaign, the 11-cap Scottish international is presently on 35, which is more than any teammate. He has also produced more passes ending in the final third than any Bournemouth player in the Premier League (328).
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
West Ham are supposedly not the only club keen to sign Fraser on a free transfer. Arsenal and Liverpool are also linked to the winger by the Mirror.
His present boss, Eddie Howe, back in November conceded the ball is in Fraser’s court regarding his long-term future on the south coast.
“In terms of his contract, that’s obviously for him to decide what he wants to do with his future,” he said.
“We would love him to stay and commit to us but, if not, we need to get the best out of him between now and the end of the season.
“We’ve had conversations with Ryan to try and persuade him to stay but, at the moment, he’s keeping his options open.”
Bournemouth play Arsenal in the FA Cup next Monday, while West Ham host West Brom in their fourth-round tie on Saturday.