West Ham United have completed the signing of goalkeeper David Martin from Millwall on the same day the club announced two departures.
Lucas Perez has returned to Spain with Alaves, while Edmilson Fernandez has signed for German side Mainz.
West Ham’s busy Monday: five key things to know…
- On Monday morning, West Ham announced their second signing of the summer with David Martin joining on a two-year deal.
- Martin is the second goalkeeper to join West Ham this summer following the arrival of Roberto from Espanyol.
- Later in the day, the Londoners confirmed midfielder Edmilson Fernandez has joined Mainz for an undisclosed fee following a loan spell with Fiorentina.
- West Ham then revealed former Arsenal striker Lucas Perez has been sold to Alaves, also for an undisclosed fee.
- Perez spent just one season at the club, scoring six goals.
David Martin is the son of Alvin Martin, who made just under 600 appearances for West Ham as a defender between 1976-1996.
The 33-year-old expressed his delight after joining a club that is special to his family.
“Signing for West Ham United is a dream, both for me and my family,” Martin told West Ham’s official website. “I’ve grown up around West Ham and to come to my boyhood club is a dream.
“I came to games as a kid as one of the supporters in the stands at the Boleyn Ground. I loved watching my dad play, and I’ve continued coming to games throughout my career.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“You can see the impact the fans can have on the team and it gives you goosebumps. The fans at West Ham are brilliant and it’s fantastic to be a part of this great club.
“I’ve always been an enthusiastic and positive person – I’ll always go into training every day with that attitude to compete with Lukasz (Fabianski) and Roberto.”
What next for West Ham?
Following Adrian’s exit, the arrivals of Martin and Roberto will provide competition for Lukasz Fabianski, meaning West Ham have wrapped their business up early in a key position.
But what other positions does manager Manuel Pellegrini want to strengthen in?
Reports claim West Ham have made a £20m bid for Barcelona midfielder Andre Gomes, who spent last season on loan at Everton.
It is believed Pellegrini also wants a striker to replace Andy Carroll. Fulham’s Aleksandar Mitrovic and West Brom’s Salomon Rondon have both been mentioned as possible targets.