Virgil van Dijk has played down a heated touchline discussion with Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp suggesting it was nothing out of the ordinary.
The pair were seen engaged in conversation after going behind in their 3-0 friendly loss to Napoli at Murrayfield on Sunday.
Although it’s too dangerous to reach any conclusions regarding pre-season games, this was Liverpool’s third loss in four games. However, they should be close to full strength ahead of this weekend’s Community Shield showdown with Manchester City.
Naturally, following an outstanding 2018/19 campaign which resulted in the Reds winning a sixth European Cup, there are growing expectations on Klopp’s men, especially given how close they pushed City in the league.
Liverpool recorded a mammoth 97 points in the Premier League, but it wasn’t enough to end a 29-year title wait. Pivotal to their success was Van Dijk, who subsequently earned the PFA Players’ Player of the Year award.
A born-winner like his manager Klopp, it’s no surprise to see both seeking perfection and, following Lorenzo Insigne’s opener in the aforementioned defeat to The Parthenopeans, both men would let the other know what they felt. When asked to clarify what was said, Van Dijk was in no mood to go into detail.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“Just things… between me and him,” he said
“It’s not necessary to reveal what. I think everyone has to communicate with each other.
“Sometimes you have to tell someone the truth, that’s how it is.”
Van Dijk’s year to remember: Five key things to know…
- Virgil van Dijk was named 2018/19 PFA Players’ Player of the Year after playing an instrumental role in Liverpool’s impressive league campaign.
- The Reds finished the season runner-up with 97 points, the most accumulated by a non-Premier League champion.
- Jurgen Klopp’s men did, however, win the Champions League, with Van Dijk again instrumental.
- Van Dijk also led the Netherlands to the inaugural Uefa Nations League final against Portugal, which they’d lose 1-0.
- He’s one of the favourites to win this year’s Ballon d’Or.