Valencia have confirmed their interest in Barcelona midfielder Denis Suarez.
The Spanish international spent half a season on loan at Premier League side Arsenal but failed to perform to any positive effect.
Should Suarez switch to Los Che? Five things you need to know…
- Denis Suarez made 71 appearances in all competitions for Barcelona across three seasons, scoring eight goals.
- However, just two league appearances in the 18/19 season led to a loan move to Premier League side Arsenal in January.
- Disappointingly, the 25-year-old mustered just six appearances in all competitions for the Gunners despite his £2 million loan fee.
- Arsenal had agreed upon an £18 million fee with Barcelona to make the move permanent but are expected not to take up that option.
- Reports suggest La Liga runners-up Atletico Madrid are interested in signing the former Manchester City man.
With Barcelona looking to strengthen their ranks this summer after a season that finished with another La Liga title but disappointments in Europa and in the Copa del Rey, the Catalan club are looking to sell the midfielder who they had hoped would join Arsenal this summer.
One side who have recently registered an interest in Suarez is Valencia who now have Champions League football to look forward to next season following their fourth place finish.
Valencia’s general director Mateu Alemany has confirmed that Suarez is on their extensive shortlist as they themselves look to adapt to next season’s demands.
Alemany said: “Our obligation is to be in the market, that list can be very long and Denis Suarez would be one of them.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Where next for Suarez?
As stated above, it seems Arsenal may look elsewhere for reinforcements following the poor showing produced by Suarez in his five months in England.
His £60,000 per week wages would probably need improving upon with Unai Emery unlikely to commit a substantial amount of his transfer budget on a player who failed to impress and remain fit for the opening half of 2019.
A move to another Spanish club seems likely amid interest from both Valencia and Atletico Madrid who can both offer him a chance of redemption and an opportunity to build upon his 110 La Liga appearances.
They both offer a route into the Champions League which could influence Suarez’s decision.
Serie A runners-up Napoli reportedly had an interest in Suarez in January prior to his switch to Arsenal and could come back in for the player this summer.