Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck will leave the club when his contract expires this summer.
The England international has endured a horrific time of late – making just 14 appearances this season – with much of this campaign spent on the sidelines due to a series of nasty injuries.
Welbeck’s time at Arsenal: Five key stats…
- Danny Welbeck joined from Man Utd for a transfer fee of £16 million in 2014.
- The 28-year-old has made 126 appearances for Arsenal, scoring 32 goals, an average of a goal every 3.93 games.
- Welbeck has two titles to his name at Arsenal: the 2017 FA Cup and the FA Community Shield.
- His last goal for the club was the winning strike in Arsenal’s 1-0 Europa League win against Sporting CP in October.
- The England international has 42 caps for his country, scoring 12 goals.
Following Arsenal’s disappointing 1-1 draw at home to Brighton & Hove Albion in the Premier League – all-but confirming their place outside of the top-four this season – the Gunners held a guard of honour for players heading out the door this summer.
As Welbeck walked onto the pitch, the PA announcer at the Emirates Stadium was heard saying: “His presence will be missed in the dressing room,” prompting Arsenal fans to assume Welbeck will no longer be with the club next season.
To confirm the news, Arsenal boss Unai Emery told reporters that Welbeck’s time at the club is coming to an end.
The Spaniard said: “I spoke with the club and the decision is he is going to leave.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
One of three major names departing
Welbeck’s departure follows in the theme of two other current Arsenal stars who are making their way toward the exit door at Emirates this campaign.
Welsh playmaker Aaron Ramsey has already agreed upon a deal with Serie A giants Juventus, which sees his 11-year-stay at the club come to an end.
Ramsey has scored two FA Cup final-winning goals throughout his time in north London but will now be playing alongside Cristiano Ronaldo on Italian soil.
Four-time Premier League champion and goalkeeping legend Petr Cech announced his retirement earlier this season and along with Ramsey and Welbeck, was at the Emirates Stadium this afternoon bidding farewell to his current employers.