Referee Paul Tierney pointed to the spot after Christoph Zimmermann handled the ball inside the penalty area, leaving an easy decision to be made.
Were Arsenal lucky against Norwich? Five key things to know…
- Arsenal drew 2-2 with Norwich at Carrow Road during Freddie Ljungberg’s managerial debut.
- After falling behind, the Gunners levelled thanks to a penalty from Aubameyang.
- The striker missed his first effort but was allowed to retake as VAR spotted encroachment from Norwich players.
- Krul and Ozil had a brief altercation after the goal and the goalkeeper told the German Arsenal were “lucky”.
- Arsenal are without a win in any competition in eight games, dating back to October 24.
Krul initially saved the penalty, diving to his right to keep out Aubameyang‘s weak effort, but VAR correctly spotted a number of Norwich players encroaching into the box before the shot had been taken.
Aubameyang fired home the retake, sparking a furious reaction from Norwich players and fans alike. During the melee, Krul and Ozil appeared to have a heated exchange of words.
And speaking after the match, Krul revealed he told Ozil that Arsenal were fortunate to have been given a second bit of the cherry.
When asked about his ‘afters’ with the Germany international, Krul told Sky Sports: “I just said to Ozil – they were celebrating – I said, ‘you’re lucky!’ Because the referee obviously helped them a lot there.
“It was a shame to concede a penalty like that. Obviously I could see Zimmo handballing it – I don’t know if it was a push or something.
“Yeah, it was a shame because obviously we were so solid all the game through and it was just a setpiece that killed us really with that.
On his attempts to put Aubameyang off, Krul added: “The job is to get in the striker’s head and doubt himself and I feel especially at home, you’ve got the crowd behind you.
“I took a bit longer than the referee liked and he gave me a yellow card, rightly so, because I came off my line again but at the end of the day I saved it and it was frustrating that it had to be retaken I think just because one of our lads has run in too quick, I think.”
The draw leaves Norwich 19th in the Premier League table on 11 points, ahead of their clash with fellow strugglers Southampton on Wednesday.