Switzerland and Spain get the Euro 2020 quarter-finals underway at the Krestovsky Stadium in Saint Petersburg on Friday at 5pm (UK time).
Switzerland battled back from two goals down to world champions France in the last-16, snatching an equaliser at the death before rounding off an exciting 3-3 in Bucharest with a penalty shootout triumph, with Yann Sommer making the decisive save from 12 yards against Kylian Mbappe.
Spain, likewise, were embroiled in a six-goal spectacle in regulation time, instead letting slip a two-goal advantage in the dying embers to Croatia, before righting the wrongs of their late daydreaming. In extra-time Luis Enrique’s men struck twice more to seal progression with a 5-3 win.
Where to watch Switzerland vs Spain on TV:
- UK: ITV
- US: ESPN
18+ ONLY, NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY, FIRST SINGLE & E/W BET ONLY, 5p MINIMUM STAKE, 3 x £10 BET TOKENS, FREE BET STAKES NOT INCLUDED IN RETURNS, FREE BETS EXCLUDE VIRTUALS, FREE BETS ARE NON WITHDRAWABLE, NO FREE BET EXPIRY, ELIGIBILITY RESTRICTIONS AND FURTHER T&CS APPLY, BEGAMBLEAWARE.ORG.
18+ only. New customers only. UK only. Deposit £20 to receive free bets of £40. Free bets credited as four equal free bets of £10 each. All free bets unlocked when a total of £20 in of sports bets are placed and settled within qualifying period of 7 days. Minimum deposit amount is £20. Promotion T&Cs apply. Standard T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.
18+ only. New members. £10 min deposit & bet on sportsbook, placed & settled at 1.5 min odds within 14 days of sign-up. Win part of E/W bets. 2 non-withdrawable £10 Free Bet Tokens: accept in 7 days, valid for 7 days from acceptance (ex. E/Ws & Multiples), stakes not returned. Click here for Rules & Exclusions. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.
18+ only. A £10 Sportsbook free bet plus a £10 Exchange free bet. Min £5 bet on the SBK, min odds 1.5 (1/2). Rewards valid for 7 days. Free bets must be placed at min odds of 1.5 (1/2). Exchange free bet limited to certain markets. Payment restrictions apply. T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.
Where to live stream Switzerland vs Spain:
US ONLY: Fubo* are streaming a selection of Euro 2020 fixtures live for account holders. Those without a Fubo account already can take advantage of their seven-day free trial by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- Click ‘Start Your Free Trial’ and enter your details.
- Log in and pick your desired channel to watch.
*Geo restrictions apply. Fubo is currently available in the United States, Canada and Spain. Packages and pricing differ per country.
Scoreline prediction: Switzerland 0-2 Spain
Compare football odds to get the best in the market using the Oddspedia tool below. Selecting a price will take you to the bookmaker’s sign-up page, where you can register, claim whatever welcome offer is available to new customers and place your bet. (18+ only, Be Gamble Aware)
Switzerland vs Spain build-up, previous line-ups & injury news:
Following a tame showing in the group stages, in which Switzerland collected just the single win over tournament flops Turkey, the progressive tactical stylings of Vladimir Petkovic came alive in the knockouts, with A-Team booking a first quarter-final appearances since the 1950s after knocking out France.
Spain also had their struggles in the groups, finishing runners-up after two lukewarm draws with Sweden and Poland, but since then La Roja have come to the party, netting 10 goals in their previous two games, with their latest performance ending Croatian hopes of another tournament appearance in the latter stages.
- Switzerland (vs France): Sommer; Elvedi, Akanji, Rodriguez; Widmer, Freuler, Xhaka*, Zuber; Shaqiri, Embolo, Seferovic.
- Spain (vs Croatia): Simon; Azpilicueta, Garcia, Laporte, Gaya; Busquets, Koke, Pedri; Torres, Sarabia, Morata.
Despite an imperious showing against France, Granit Xhaka collected another booking and will hence sit this meeting out through suspension, dealing a huge blow to Switzerland. For Spain, Jose Luis Gaya and David de Gea are both touch and go to make the squad, though neither are likely to start.
Get 30/1 on Over 0.5 goals in Switzerland vs Spain : Euro 2020 offer
CLAIM HERE. 18+ / bonuscode CHESNB / new customers only / £1 bet min / max to qualify / Price Boost credited as a Free Bet / FREE BET VALID FOR 3 DAYS / no e-wallets/prepaid cards / * Free bet to credited within 24 hours from bet settlement / T&Cs APPLY
Players to watch:
- Switzerland: Granit Xhaka was simply sensational against France, putting paid to his marmite status in north London and producing a performance few knew he was capable of. The only blemish on his showing was an obligatory card, so he will sit this tie out, placing a huge burden on Remo Freuler to fuel the midfield, lead by example and put in the hard yards. The 29-year-old is accustomed to manning the engine room, doing so with distinction for Atalanta, but without Xhaka’s industrious patrolling of the centre circle and soprano-like exploits, Freuler’s responsibility enhances massively here. Against the likes of Pedri and Sergio Busquets, he has a monumental job on his hands to keep Switzerland competitive in the middle of the pitch.
- Spain: Indeed the midfield battle could determine this tie, and few have encapsulated Spain’s recent attacking football more than teenage tyro Pedri. The Barcelona wunderkind plays with a confidence and self-assurance that belies his tender years, and at just 18, he looks set to dominate the Spanish midfield for the next decade. Already a mainstay in Barcelona’s midfield, the Santa Cruz de Tenerife-born player has risen to meteoric prominence and is taking Euro 2020 by storm. Another gold star in his burgeoning career to date.