Steven Bergwijn has expressed his desperation to leave Tottenham Hotspur this summer after enduring a frustrating 2021/22 campaign.
The 24-year-old Amsterdammer started just four Premier League games for Spurs in the season just gone as he struggled to dislodge Son Heung-min and Dejan Kulusevski on the attacking flanks.
The 19-capped Netherlands international joined Spurs from PSV Eindhoven in January 2020 for £26.7m but has found significant playing time hard to come by. Incredibly, he started the first three Premier League games of the season under Nuno Espirito Santo before an ankle injury sidelined him.
Bet365 welcome offer: Bet £10 & Get £50 in Free Bets
Not signed up to bet365 yet? Here's how to claim one of the best bookmaker welcome offers around...
- Open an account (here's a link)
- Make a qualifying deposit of between £5* and £10*
- Claim the offer to receive five times your deposit in 'Free Bets'.
- To release your 'Free Bets', place qualifying bets to the value of the your qualifying deposit and allow those bets to settle.
- Your 'Free Bets' will become available shortly after your qualifying bets have settled
- To use your 'Free Bets', select 'Use bet credits' in the bet slip.
18+ only. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of qualifying bets. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply.
Following his return six matches later, Bergwijn would go on to start just one more league game in 2021/22, a 2-0 defeat to Chelsea in mid-January, which came after he starred in that famous 3-2 win over Leicester in which he scored a brace at the death.
Despite fleeting moments of success, Bergwijn ultimately struggled to hold down a continued starting berth, and now the Dutchman has outlined his intention to leave Spurs when the summer transfer window opens.
Bergwijn told AD while away on international duty with the Netherlands: “I’m at Oranje now and then we’ll have a look. It would be nice if there was clarity soon. I just have to go play.
Paddy Power betting offer: Bet £20 and get it back as cash if it loses
- Follow THIS LINK (or click the image below) to open a new account using promo code YSKWEX
- Deposit a minimum of £10 using a card.
- Place a Sportsbook bet up to £20 at min odds of 2.0 (Evs). For the purposes of this promotion, your first ever placed bet will be counted as the qualifying bet.
- If your qualifying bet is settled as a loser we will refund your stake in CASH (maximum £20).
- Qualifying requirements must be completed within 30 days of account opening
“But I want to leave Spurs now, that’s for sure.”
The 24-year-old went on to say he was denied the chance to leave in the club in January, before adding that the lure of Champions League football is not his main priority at his point in his career.
“That’s not even top priority [the Champions League]. Though it would be nice. What’s important is that I’m going to play,” he said.
“I wasn’t allowed to leave Spurs in the winter and then I didn’t have any problems. The last few months I was hardly looked after there. Now I want to play somewhere weekly.”