Newcastle lead Southampton 1-0 at the halfway stage of their EFL Cup semi-final clash, winning 1-0 in the first leg at Saint Mary’s courtesy of Joelinton’s 73rd-minute strike.
It was an entertaining battle on the South Coast between the two Premier League clubs, with both sides having chances aplenty to get their noses in front. The travelling Tynesiders ultimately walked away from the first leg with a one-goal cushion heading into next week’s return fixture.
It was a long old drive for the journeying Toon Army, who face the prospect of a 700-mile round trip, but Joelinton’s second-half strike would certainly have softened the blow. Eddie Howe’s side are now just one game away from Wembley and a potential tie against either Man Utd or Nottingham Forest in the final.
Download the new Squawka Live app
The new Squawka Live app is not just for football/soccer. You can follow NFL too as we edge closer to Super Bowl LVII.
- Download the Squawka Live app on the App Store or Google Play (here's the link). Currently, the app is available in the UK only.
- Follow your favourite teams and leagues to receive notifications.
- Navigate to the American Football tab to find info on NFL and NCAAFB matches.
- Compare odds and set alerts for specific match scenarios.
- Use Squawka Live as your second screen with real-time updates from possession time to penalty yards and detailed info on each drive - scoring and non-scoring.
Howe would have been somewhat frustrated by the half-time scoreline after Joelinton had, what he thought was a deadlock-breaker chalked off for an apparent handball. Referee Stuart Attwell disallowed the initial strike in real time, and upon examination from Stockley Park, the original decision was upheld.
It looked dubious and encouraged plenty of debate at the interval, but the Magpies were not discouraged. They once again came out in the second half with the bit between their teeth. However, with their attacking drive, the game became stretched, and Southampton started to have some joy going forward.
In the end, the match hinged on a brilliant piece of individual skill from substitute Alexander Isak. The 23-year-old drifted wide to collect the ball, before turning Duje Caleta-Car with liquid ease, breezing past him on the right flank and then picking out a precision low drive for Joelinton to smash home into an empty net.
Paddy Power betting offer: Bet £20 and get it back as cash if it loses
- Follow THIS LINK (or click the image below) to open a new account using promo code YSKWEX
- Deposit a minimum of £10 using a card.
- Place a Sportsbook bet up to £20 at min odds of 2.0 (Evs). For the purposes of this promotion, your first ever placed bet will be counted as the qualifying bet.
- If your qualifying bet is settled as a loser we will refund your stake in CASH (maximum £20).
- Qualifying requirements must be completed within 30 days of account opening
Renowned for his scoring prowess in the Basque Country, Isak demonstrated tonight that he is more than just goal-getting machine. The shimmy and quick turn of pace served well to illuminate his close control and athleticism, two traits that will serve him well in Howe’s fluid attacking system.
Former academy graduate Adam Armstrong then thought he restored parity mere minutes later, coming back to bite the hand that once fed him. But, once again, intervention from VAR cancelled out his strike for another handball, much to the delight of the travelling contingent.
The good news for Southampton is that there is still only one goal in this game — they are very much still kicking. For Newcastle, they will be buoyed by the result and the return to form of Isak following a protracted lay-off on the sidelines. His re-emergence will be crucial to their second-half-of-the-season aspirations.
Bet365 welcome offer: Bet £10 & Get £50 in Free Bets
Not signed up to bet365 yet? Here's how to claim one of the best bookmaker welcome offers around...
- Open an account (here's a link)
- Make a qualifying deposit of between £5* and £10*
- Claim the offer to receive five times your deposit in 'Free Bets'.
- To release your 'Free Bets', place qualifying bets to the value of your qualifying deposit and allow those bets to settle.
- Your 'Free Bets' will become available shortly after your qualifying bets have settled
- To use your 'Free Bets', select 'Use bet credits' in the bet slip.
18+ only. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of qualifying bets. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply.