Sheffield United midfielder Jack Rodwell has revealed he came “very close” to joining Italian giants AS Roma last year.
The 28-year-old joined the Blades in a surprise free transfer on Friday and made his debut in their 2-1 FA Cup win over AFC Fylde on Sunday.
How close did Rodwell come to joining Roma? Five things to know…
- Rodwell had a short spell with Blackburn Rovers last season and was offered a contract extension.
- But he chose to decline the offer and insists he still “has a point to prove” at the highest level.
- The 28-year-old has signed a six-month deal with Sheffield United and made his debut against AFC Fylde.
- Rodwell managed 58 minutes on his maiden appearance for Chris Wilder.
- But he has revealed he came “very close” to joining Serie A giants AS Roma.
That move ended a six-month spell without a club for Rodwell, who last played for Championship side Blackburn Rovers — the former Everton man was offered a contract extension by the Lancashire club but decided against signing.
But Rodwell — whose contract at Bramhall Lane runs until the end of June — has revealed just how close he came to joining up with Roma in a deal which would have been met with even greater surprise than the one he recently signed with Sheffield United.
“That was very close to happening,” he said of a move to Roma. “It was just unfortunate circumstances why it didn’t materialise but things are meant to happen for a reason, aren’t they?
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“Fast forward a few weeks and I got the call from Sheffield United, so it’s swings and roundabouts. That wasn’t meant to be but this was, and I’m delighted to be here.”
One of the reasons Rodwell chose to decline the offer on the table from Blackburn was that he feels he still has a point to prove at the highest level and that his ambition remains in-tact, despite a number of career setbacks.
“I feel like I’ve got more to offer at this level for sure,” he added. “I’m still capable of playing at the highest level.
“That remains my ambition. I’m very ambitious and nothing has changed there. I’ve got to be patient and show the right attitude, but I will be ready whenever I’m called upon.”
Sheffield United face West Ham United on Friday.