Time is running out on Werder Bremen’s fight against relegation, with the club travelling to Schalke on Saturday knowing only a win will do.
Despite a positive draw against Borussia Monchengladbach in midweek, Bremen dropped to five points behind Fortuna Dusseldorf who occupy the relegation play-off spot while guaranteed safety is currently six points away.
Bremen have won just five of their 27 league games so far and have the worst attack in the league, scoring just 29 goals, while only Mainz have conceded more this season.
Although Schalke are eight places ahead of them in the table, Saturday’s hosts have been in terrible form. Winless in their last 10 Bundesliga games including three consecutive defeats, they are the Bundesliga’s club yet to pick up any points since the restart.
0-4 vs. Dortmund
0-3 vs. Augsburg
1-2 vs. Düsseldorf
Schalke are the only Bundesliga side to lose all three games since the competition restarted. 😳 pic.twitter.com/ejje8lr8nA
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) May 27, 2020
Last time out, Schalke were beaten by Dusseldorf despite having taken the lead, a result that might inspire Bremen even more this weekend considering what it meant for their own challenges.
Where to watch Schalke v Werder Bremen on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 1
- US: Fox Soccer 1
Where to live stream the game:
- UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Schalke vs Werder Bremen live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware.
- US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Schalke vs Werder Bremen’s confirmed lineups:
- Schalke: Nubel; Kabak, Sane, Todibo; Kenny, McKennie, Schopf, Miranda; Caligiuri, Gregoritsch, Matondo.
- Werder Bremen: Pavlenka; Gebre Selassie, Langkamp, Moisander, Friedl, Eggestein, Vogt, Klaassen; Bittencourt; Sargent, Rashica.
Bayern Munich-bound Alexander Nubel returns in goal for Schalke as one of four changes, while Kevin Vogt replaces the suspended Milos Veljkovic for Bremen albeit in midfield.
Players to watch:
- Schalke: Much of David Wagner’s focus this season has been on bringing through a younger team, at times to an almost stubborn degree. But along with the youth, he needs experienced heads, and that’s where Schalke captain Bastian Oczipka has come in. The 31-year-old has played every game for Schalke this season, featuring on the left side of the defence, either as a full-back or wing-back. Only three players have been directly involved in more goals for Schalke this season than Oczipka’s five (five assists), but all three are currently out injured, leaving a lot of pressure on the 31-year-old. And against Dusseldorf on Wednesday, Oczipka was the man to set up Weston McKennie’s goal, the first time Schalke had scored post-return.
- Werder Bremen: Like Schalke, Bremen have not been good in front of goal this season, with just 29 goals. But Milot Rashica has been putting himself about to try and save the club from relegation. The 23-year-old Kosovo international has been directly involved in 11 goals so far this season, scoring 11 and recording four assists, contributing to 37.93% of Bremen’s total strikes. Unfortunately for Bremen, however, Rashica has recorded just one assist since the Bundesliga returned from its winter break in January, last scoring in December. What better time for Rashica to return to scoring ways than against a team wounded Schalke side on a downward spiral? Especially when Liverpool are said to be keeping tabs on you. “There are many requests for him,” Amedi, who heads up the Kosovan Football Federation, claimed on Syri TV. “I know that Liverpool in the Premier League want him, but also Leipzig in the Bundesliga.”
Scoreline prediction: Schalke 1-2 Werder Bremen
Bundesliga 2019/20 recent form:
- Schalke: LLLDL
- Werder Bremen: DWLDL