Former Liverpool defender Steve Nicol says it is not a foregone conclusion that Timo Werner will move to Anfield.
Werner has been tipped to leave RB Leipzig this summer and Liverpool continue to be linked with a move for the German striker.
Is Liverpool the most likely destination for Werner? Five things to know…
- Werner has been in fine form this season and a summer transfer looks possible.
- The 24-year-old has called Jurgen Klopp the “best coach in the world” and said his “style of play would suit” Liverpool.
- However, he has also talked up the possibility of staying at Leipzig or joining a team who he would improve, like Manchester United.
- And ex-Liverpool defender Steve Nicol thinks labelling Werner-to-Liverpool a ‘done deal’ is dangerous at this stage.
- Werner has scored 27 goals in 36 appearances across all competitions this season.
Despite rumours suggesting Liverpool are leading the race to sign Werner, Nicol thinks those believers should look at Kylian Mbappe’s transfer to Paris Saint-Germain as evidence that anything can happen.
Mbappe appeared destined to join Real Madrid from Monaco in the summer of 2017 but ended up joining PSG instead, initially on loan and then permanently.
And Nicol has stressed it is possible Werner will prefer another destination to Liverpool, though he has urged the club to ramp up their interest in the forward if Sadio Mane — who has recently been linked to Real Madrid — leaves this summer.
Asked if Liverpool would be willing to let Mane leave the club this summer, Nicol told ESPN FC: “That’s only any good if you’re bringing in Timo Werner, or somebody like Timo Werner.
“Unfortunately there aren’t many around [like Werner]. What if he wants to go elsewhere?
“Guess what, there was a guy called Mbappe who wanted to go to Real Madrid, who told everybody he wanted to go [the Real Madrid] – and he ended up at PSG.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Nicol: I’d rather sell Salah than Mane
Nicol was asked about Werner replacing Mane amid the Real rumours, with Zinedine Zidane reportedly interested in the latter.
Pressed on whether he thinks Werner is on the same level as Mane, Nicol added: “If you’re going to get £140m for Mane and you have somebody like Timo Werner available, then I think you can take the chance [of selling Mane].
“If I had the choice, I would rather sell [Mohamed] Salah, keep Mane, and have Timo Werner on the other side.”