Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has curiously suggested Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola isn’t fully aware of everything that happens at his club.
The striker-turned-executive made this interesting declaration amid recent speculation linking City winger Leroy Sane with the Bavarian giants.
It was put forward to Guardiola, who is aiming to equal Sir Alex Ferguson by winning three consecutive Premier League titles next season, whether there’s been contact between Sane and the German champions.
He would respond by implying no such activity took place, but the counter from Rummenigge – who employed Guardiola between 2013 and 2016 during which time he won five major honours including three Bundesliga crowns on the bounce – raised a few eyebrows.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“I don’t know if Pep’s aware of everything that’s going on at his club,” he told reporters as Bayern prepared to take on European foes Real Madrid in Houston.
The Bundesliga club won 3-1 at the NRG Stadium courtesy of goals from Corentin Tolisso, Robert Lewandowski and Serge Gnabry.
The fight for Sane: Five key things to know…
- Sane joined Manchester City from boyhood club Schalke 04 in 2016 for a reported £37m.
- He was one of the first players to arrive in the same window as then newly-appointed boss Pep Guardiola.
- Sane has gone on to play 133 times under Guardiola, registering 39 goals and 45 assists.
- His present deal with the Premier League champions expires in June 2021.
- Bayern Munich, who have lost Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery this summer, are reportedly keen to acquire Sane’s services.