Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has confirmed the club plans to sign Eden Hazard from Chelsea this summer.
Hazard, who has just one year left on his contract, has been linked with Real Madrid for some time after casting doubt on his Chelsea future.
Hazard to Real Madrid: Five key things to know…
- Last October, Hazard admitted he is split between signing a new deal with Chelsea or leaving for Real Madrid.
- In the meantime he has has enjoyed a stellar season, scoring 19 goals in all competitions.
- Earlier this month, the Belgian confirmed he has informed Chelsea of where he wants to play football next season, but he is yet to reveal his decision to the public.
- Chelsea’s Europa League final meeting with Arsenal on Wednesday could be Hazard’s last game for the club.
- Madrid have now confirmed they want Hazard to join them this summer.
Although he is yet to reveal his decision, Hazard is widely expected to depart Chelsea for Real Madrid before the start of next season.
And Perez’s recent comments have only strengthened the belief that Hazard won’t be a Premier League player for much longer.
“We have been trying to make Hazard a Real Madrid player for several years,” Perez told Spanish radio station Onda Cero.
“I have a dream that Hazard will arrive this year. Let’s make a good team this year.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“I am very interested in him coming to Real Madrid and I am very hopeful that he will come this year. He’s one of the great footballers.
“Last year we wanted him, but this year he only has one year left on his contract and it is easier.”
More changes could happen, hints Perez
Perez also hinted there could be more changes in terms of personnel this summer at the Bernabeu.
He added: “We are working on a project to make people dream again, where we recover our hunger and ambition. I have already lived through this stage before.”
Indeed, Hazard may not be the only high-profile addition to Zinedine Zidane’s squad, with Paul Pogba and Christian Eriksen also being linked with Real Madrid.
In terms of outgoings, Gareth Bale and Sergio Ramos have both been mentioned as possible departees.
It looks like plenty of changes are afoot in the Spanish capital.