Football News

Real Madrid have made contact with Declan Rice’s family, claims ex-Hammer

By Ben Green

Published: 19:06, 15 April 2019

Former West Ham defender Scott Minto has claimed Real Madrid have made contact with the family of Declan Rice.

The 20-year-old has attracted plenty of attention at the London Stadium this season, with Manchester United and Manchester City both rumoured to be interested in acquiring his services.

Could Rice join Real? Five key things to know…

  1. Rice has been a revelation for West Ham this season, earning an England call-up in the process.
  2. Only Leicester City’s Wilfred Ndidi (290) has made more recoveries than Rice (269) in the Premier League this season.
  3. Rice’s form in the middle of the park has seen him linked with a big-money move away from West Ham this summer.
  4. Real Madrid are set for a summer overhaul following the reappointment of Zinedine Zidane.
  5. Los Blancos will look to rebuild in the upcoming transfer window after suffering a trophy-less campaign.

Under Manuel Pellegrini’s tactically astute watch, Rice has come of age in east London, with his exploits in the middle of the park helping the club pull off some big results against Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool this term.

His fine form has also been rewarded with two England caps, after he switched allegiances from the Republic of Ireland in February, and now the highly sought-after midfielder is enticing some admiring glances from overseas.

Former Hammer Minto – who played at Upton Park between 1999 and 2003 – has now suggested Real Madrid have been trying to charm the family of Rice.

Speaking to Stadium Astro following West Ham’s 2-1 defeat to Man United on Saturday, he said: “I’m hearing that even Real Madrid are knocking on the door and speaking to his family.

“I’m not going to tell you who, but it’s a reliable source.”

Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.

Pellegrini admits West Ham would consider Rice sale

Rice has only recently signed a new contract with the Hammers in December, keeping him at the London Stadium until 2024, but Pellegrini has already conceded the club could sell their midfield prodigy.

The Chilean tactician has been in the game long enough to know that money does most of the talking, and he suggested every player has his price when referencing the future of the academy graduate last month.

“In that case, as always, it is just a matter of price,” Pellegrini said.

“There are big teams who decide to pay an important amount of money: sure, if it is a good deal for the club and the player and improves his career then we can do it. But I don’t know nothing about that yet.”

✕︎

Get the Best offers for EURO 2020

A valid email is required.

Invalid e-mail.

Yes I am over 18.
Yes, I would like to receive email updates on exciting offers from squawka.com. For more info on how we and our partners process your data, see Privacy and Cookie Policies.

*This offer is not valid for residents of Great Britain.*By subscribing you are confirming that you are over 18 years of age.

*All emails include an unsubcrbe link, where you can opt out any time. *Please see our privacy and cookies policy..

x

Newsletter error