Former Tottenham playmaker Rafael van der Vaart has savagely called out three Liverpool players after their capitulation against Napoli.
The Reds were ruthlessly exposed in Campania last week as Luciano Spalletti’s men ran riot in a 4-1 triumph, bludgeoning a side that were only in the Champions League final just a few months back. It was a chastening and sobering experience for Jurgen Klopp.
With football in England postponed over the weekend, Liverpool return to action on Tuesday night for the first time since that mauling in south-western Italy. Klopp’s resolve and mental fortitude will be tested to the full capacity as he looks to rouse a deflated squad.
Paddy Power betting offer: Bet £20 and get it back as cash if your first bet loses
- Follow THIS LINK (or click the image below) to open a new account using promo code YSKWEX
- Deposit a minimum of £10 using a card.
- Place a Sportsbook bet on Football. For the purposes of this promotion, your first ever settled bet will be counted as the qualifying bet.
- Qualifying requirements must be completed within 90 days of account opening.
18+ only. New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any Football market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made via Cards will be eligible for the promotion (Apple Pay excluded). T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly. For more information, visit begambleaware.org.
They take on Ajax in their second Group A match, with the Amsterdammers currently leading the early charge. Alfred Schreuder’s men enjoyed a 4-0 win over Rangers last week to consolidate first — and former midfielder Van der Vaart doesn’t think his old side should have anything to fear this week.
He told Dutch programme Rondo: “I think we have become a bit blinded. We suddenly think Jordan Henderson is a crazy player. That’s just a very normal player.
“James Milner is also a very normal player. Joe Gomez is also a very normal player.
Bet365 welcome offer: How to get up to £50 in free bets
- Open an account (here's a link)
- Make a qualifying deposit of between £5* and £10*
- Claim the offer to receive five times your deposit in 'Free Bets'.
- To release your 'Free Bets', place qualifying bets to the value of the your qualifying deposit and allow those bets to settle.
- Your 'Free Bets' will become available shortly after your qualifying bets have settled
- To use your 'Free Bets', select 'Use bet credits' in the bet slip.
18+ only. Please play responsibly. For more information, visit Be Gamble Aware. Time limits and Ts&Cs apply (see above and Bet365's sign-up page). Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of qualifying bets. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake.
“Virgil van Dijk is top, the right back and left back are also good. But if things don’t go well and those attackers don’t have their day, then I think it’s just a very mediocre team.”
While Liverpool take on Ajax at Anfield, in the other Group A match, Rangers welcome Napoli to Ibrox looking to bounce back from their own European demise last week. Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s Gers collapsed in Amsterdam and will need a result here before they play Liverpool next. Both sides meet in Merseyside on October 4.
For Liverpool’s Premier League schedule, their match against Chelsea this weekend has also been postponed. The Reds next play a domestic league game against Brighton at the start of next month.