PSV ‘threaten’ to sign Ajax nemesis from Spurs if rivals join Man Utd in race for dribble king
PSV technical director John de Jong has jokingly threatened to spend the entire club budget on Tottenham Hotspur winger Lucas Moura if Ajax sign Steven Bergwijn.
Bergwijn, 21, has enjoyed a stellar campaign in the Eredivisie with PSV this season, sparking interest from elite clubs across Europe, including Manchester United.
Could Bergwijn leave PSV? Five key things to know…
- Bergwijn netted 14 goals and registered 12 assists as PSV finished second in the Dutch top-flight.
- He has been a standout performer in Mark van Bommel’s side and could leave Eindhoven this summer.
- His agent recently opened the door on a move, telling Dutch publication Eindhovens Dagblad that PSV will not “determine where Steven will be going”.
- In light of rumours to Ajax, technical director Marc Overmars told De Telegraaf: “If we want to sign Bergwijn, I will talk to PSV.”
- PSV have now hit back, suggesting they will sign Champions League nemesis Lucas Moura should a deal for Bergwijn materialise.
The five-time Dutch international has directly contributed to 26 league goals this season, and was recently announced in Ronald Koeman’s Netherlands squad for the Nations League semi-final against England next month.
As such the incisive winger has been closely linked to a number of clubs, with Ajax among those reportedly queuing up for his signature, but PSV appear to be having none of it, threatening their rival club with a tongue-in-cheek move for Lucas.
The Brazilian ace famously scored a hat-trick to send Ajax crashing out of the Champions League semi-final in dramatic fashion earlier this month, and he could rub salt in the wounds by pitching up at PSV if Bergwijn heads to Amsterdam John de Jong has joked.
“It’s very simple: if Ajax takes Steven away from us, we will offer Tottenham our entire budget to sign Moura if necessary,” he told De Speld.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Bergwijn to the Premier League?
If Ajax fail to get their hands on Bergwijn, the young forward could end up on English soil, with both Man Utd and Liverpool associated with his name.
United require major surgery this summer, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer keen to bolster his armoury by adding some serious firepower in the final third.
Meanwhile their north-west neighbours will be in no desperate rush to replenish their ranks after the Reds enjoyed another sensational season, including an upcoming Champions League final appearance next month.
A move away from the Philips Stadion could be on the cards for Bergwijn after his agent, Fulco van Kooperen, told Eindhovens Dagblad: “If you are selling a house, I don’t think you say no to a buyer in advance.
“It is not the case that PSV will determine where Steven will be going this summer. He will choose the club if he wants a transfer.
“PSV will have to find an agreement with the club where Steven would like to go.”