PSG confirm interest in Borussia Dortmund’s Julian Weigl
Paris Saint-Germain manager Thomas Tuchel has confirmed the club are exploring the possibility of signing Borussia Dortmund midfielder Julian Weigl this summer.
The 23-year-old was the subject of interest from Paris in January as Tuchel desperately tried to bolster his midfield options, eventually signing Leandro Paredes.
Could Weigl join PSG? Five key things to know…
- Weigl began the season on the fringes of first team action but was an ever-present after the winter break.
- Nominally a central midfielder, Lucien Favre predominately utilised him as a centre-back.
- His versatility would be key for Tuchel, who wants to sign further midfield recruits with Adrien Rabiot set to leave on a free.
- The German coach previously worked with Weigl during his stint as Borussia Dortmund boss between 2015 and 2017.
- Despite the signing of Paredes in the winter window, Tuchel has now expressed a desire to make Weigl part of his Paris furniture.
With Giovani Lo Celso completing a permanent move to Real Betis in April, Lassana Diarra mutually terminating his contract in February, and Adrien Rabiot due to leave upon the expiration of his contract next month, PSG are in dire need of central midfielders.
Tuchel has been forced to deploy Marquinhos in the middle of the park at times this season with Marco Verratti incurring ankle complications at the start of the year and Paredes still finding his feet after completing a move from Zenit Saint Petersburg.
Weigl has been no stranger to rumours of a move to the French capital, with Tuchel previously fanning the flames, and when asked by Eurosport Germany whether he intends to rekindle interest, the PSG boss left no clues in his answer.
He said: “Of course [we’re interested]. Julian is always an interesting player.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Dortmund to sanction the move?
Despite forcing his way into Favre’s XI post-winter break, Weigl only mustered 16 Bundesliga starts, with a further two from the bench, and just three Champions League starts.
As such, French publication Le10Sport reported last month that the Ruhr district club would be willing to listen to offers from the Parisians for their versatile midfielder.
With strong competition in the Dortmund midfield from Thomas Delaney, Mahmoud Dahoud and Axel Witsel, it is claimed the club would entertain an offer of around £25m for Weigl.
The Germany international has also been linked with Manchester City in the past and with Pep Guardiola actively seeking a long-term successor to the ageing Fernandinho, expect interest to gain momentum from the North West as well.