Leicester City midfielder Wilfried Ndidi has revealed he is “flattered” by speculation linking him to Manchester United, but added the club are yet to make an approach.
The 22-year-old was a prominent figure in the Foxes midfield throughout 2018/19, sparking interest from some of the league’s heavyweight clubs.
Could Man Utd sign Ndidi? Five things to know…
- United are in need of midfield reinforcements with Ander Herrera set to leave this summer.
- Paul Pogba has also cast doubt on his future, while Fred and Nemanja Matic were extremely inconsistent.
- As such Ndidi has emerged as a possible candidate to add serious firepower to the Red Devils midfield.
- However, the Nigerian says his only focus is on AFCON as well as pre-season with Leicester City.
- Ndidi attempted the joint-most tackles in the PL throughout 2018/19 (142) and registered the most recoveries (324).
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is set to overhaul his squad this summer and the Norwegian coach is reportedly keeping tabs on Leicester’s combative midfielder, though Ndidi insists he is not looking beyond the Africa Cup of Nations, or even Brendan Rodgers’s first pre-season with the Foxes.
“I am flattered when hearing such a thing,” Ndidi told Goal.
“It is very good to hear about that interest from big clubs, but there is nothing on the ground so I won’t care about it.
“I am focusing on AFCON with Nigeria now, and then pre-season with Leicester City. We have a great manager with ambition to compete with big clubs in the Premier League.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
‘Mikel my role model’
Ndidi will be aiming to clinch Nigeria’s fourth AFCON title when the tournament kicks off in Egypt later this month, and he couldn’t hide his delight when speaking about playing alongside John Obi Mikel.
The 32-year-old Nigerian legend is captain of the Super Eagles, and Ndidi has spoken about how he grew up watching the former Chelsea man.
He said: “It is great to play with him. I grew up watching Mikel. He is my role model and playing alongside him is a great thing.
“He is very calm, a good captain, and he gives advice to everyone and speaks with everyone. When you talk to him, he is very humble.
“It is a plus to the team having such a player. We grew up watching him, and now we’re playing with him he gives us more confidence.”