Ajax talisman Hakim Ziyech has revealed that he rejected a summer switch to Sevilla because they are not an upgrade on the Amsterdam club.
The 26-year-old Morocco international played a vital role as Ajacied reached the 2018/19 Champions League semi-final, and has subsequently been linked with a move away from the Dutch capital.
Why did Ziyech reject Sevilla? Five things to know…
- Ziyech scored 21 goals and registered 24 assists as Ajax reached the CL semi-final, won the Eredivisie and clinched the KNVB Cup last season.
- As such, the Dutch-born Moroccan has been the subject of interest from clubs across the continent.
- Both Arsenal and Liverpool have been credited with an interest in the playmaker.
- As have Sevilla, who recently rehired transfer guru Monchi, and submitted an offer.
- However, Ziyech has since revealed he rejected a move to Andalusia because Sevilla are on “the same level as Ajax”.
Premier League clubs, including Arsenal and Liverpool, have reportedly been keeping tabs on the playmaking maestro, but Julen Lopetegui’s side are one of the few clubs to have actually made a concrete effort to secure Ziyech.
Unfortunately for the former Real Madrid boss, Ziyech has since revealed that he his sights set on an ‘Ajax upgrade’ should a departure from the Johan Cruijff ArenA come to fruition.
Speaking after Ajax beat PSV 2-0 in the Dutch Super Cup, Ziyech told Fox Sports: “I feel at home here and get to play a lot.
“I think Sevilla is from the same level as Ajax and I don’t switch Ajax for nothing.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
‘The right club hasn’t made an offer yet’
Ziyech may very well have warmed Ajax hearts after comments about refusing to swap Amsterdam for the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan Stadium, but he did concede that a move could be on the table should the perfect picture present itself.
He added: “The right club didn’t make an offer yet, so for now I just stick with Ajax and do my very best on the field.
“I think everybody gets along really well. It’s a great team. We have fun and you shouldn’t give that up for nothing. You shouldn’t leave because of leaving; it has to be something you fully approve.
“Like I always said: it has to be the perfect picture. Everything needs to be right. I won’t leave Ajax until I have that feeling.”