Mauricio Pochettino hopes Christian Eriksen will stay at Tottenham Hotspur this summer but admits interest in the midfielder is mounting.
Eriksen has been linked with Real Madrid and Manchester United after suggesting he would like to seek a new challenge.
Could Eriksen stay at Spurs? Five key things to know…
- Eriksen is believed to be a transfer target for Real Madrid and Man Utd.
- But Madrid have already spent big this summer and are reportedly chasing Paul Pogba.
- Meanwhile, United’s lack of Champions League football could put off Eriksen.
- Reports suggest Tottenham have tabled a new contract offer to the Dane.
- Pochettino claims there is “a lot of interest” but Eriksen’s options appear to be running short.
With just one year remaining on his contract, the 27-year-old may have a decision to make about a new deal if a move away fails to materialise.
And Pochettino has voiced his hope for Eriksen to stay put for the 2019/20 season.
“I hope he will [stay],” Pochettino told reporters.
“I think he is a great player, Christian. One of the biggest talents in football. After five years working with him, I am sure in the way that he plays, and I hope so, yes.
“But you know, there is a lot of interest. I hope yes, but I don’t know what is going to happen with that.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Tottenham’s summer transfer business so far
Spurs have already been active in the window, breaking their transfer record to bring in Tanguy Ndombele from Lyon and signing Leeds United youngster Jack Clarke, who has rejoined the Yorkshire club on loan.
Kieran Trippier is reportedly close to sealing a move to Atletico Madrid, while Toby Alderweireld’s £25m release clause continues to spark speculation.
The Londoners have been linked with midfielders in Eriksen’s position, including Real Betis’ Giovani Lo Celso and Real Madrid’s Dani Ceballos.
Perhaps moves for those players will depend on whether Eriksen stays or departs.