Manchester United legend Peter Schmeichel has claimed David De Gea has put pen to paper on a new deal with the club.
The Spaniard’s future has been up in the air across the past few months with his contract due to expire next summer.
What is De Gea’s contract situation? Five things to know…
- United have been trying to negotiate a new deal with De Gea for several months.
- The Spaniard has now entered the last year of his present deal at Old Trafford.
- It has been reported that De Gea has been offered a deal worth in excess of £350,000 per week.
- Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus have both been credited with an interest in the Spaniard.
- But, Schmeichel has seemingly confirmed De Gea has already penned a new deal at United.
However, former United shot-stopper Schmeichel has now relaxed tensions over the 28-year-old’s future by revealing he has already extended his present deal.
He told The Mirror: “David was a great signal that we start off with arguably our best performer over the last five years.
“We have tied him down, he is staying and now we move on and build on that.”
De Gea has been the subject of much transfer speculation, but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be relieved to have tied his No 1 ‘keeper down to a new deal, if Schmeichel’s revelation proves true that is.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Neville lets slip
Schmeichel’s comments come after another United legend unwittingly revealed that the Spain international has already dotted the i’s and crossed the t’s on a new contract.
Speaking after the Red Devils trounced Chelsea 4-0 in their Premier League opener on Sunday, Gary Neville all-but confirmed the news every United fan has been waiting to hear for several months.
He said: “You’d hope with De Gea now signed and [Harry] Maguire as a centre-back, [Paul] Pogba, at the moment, in midfield is obviously world-class on his day, and then you’re talking about up front… Manchester United have got threats.”