Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has denied reports suggesting he was keen to sign Bruno Fernandes before the midfielder joined Manchester United.
The 25-year-old Portugal international completed a long-awaited move to Old Trafford from Sporting Portugal in January after being heavily linked to the Red Devils for several months.
Fernandes’ impact at Man Utd: Five key things to know…
- Man Utd signed Bruno Fernandes from Sporting Portugal in January 2020 for a reported fee of £47m.
- He’s since registered three goals and two assists in seven matches across three different competitions.
- Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has described him as “old school” due to his enthusiasm for the game.
- Prior to joining Man Utd, he was linked to both Liverpool and Spurs.
- Man City were another club seemingly linked with the midfielder but Guardiola says Fernandes was not on his radar.
Man Utd’s interest dominated last summer’s transfer window, but acquiring the highly touted midfielder proved to be an elongated process and they weren’t the only Premier League clubs reported to be keeping tabs on Fernandes.
The 2019 Champions League finalists Liverpool and Tottenham were both credited with an interest. Spurs even made a bid but their “serious offer” wasn’t good enough, according to Sporting president Frederico Varandas.
Fernandes eventually signed for Man Utd during the January 2020 transfer window and since joining the Red Devils he’s galvanised Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men in their pursuit of silverware and Champions League football.
He is certain to line up against Man City when the Premier League champions visit Old Trafford on Sunday but there was no chance of him wearing blue as far as Guardiola is concerned.
“I said many times it looks like we are linked with a thousand million players every month,” he said. “I don’t know if the agents want to create something to do that.
“But I think the club was not in talks with his agent about this player, but they link this guy and a thousand million more.”
“I don’t know what it means ‘my type of player’. I like defenders too and good headers.
“I don’t believe too much that these players are perfect for this team and manager. But I think he is an exceptional player and that is why Man United bought him.”