Manchester United playmaker Juan Mata has intimated that teammate Paul Pogba is content with life at Old Trafford.
The French superstar has long-been tipped to leave the North West this summer, with Real Madrid and Juventus both supposedly interested in the midfielder.
Is Pogba “happy” at Man Utd? Five things to know…
- Pogba has endured a somewhat tempestuous relationship with Man Utd fans of late.
- He recently irked some of the club’s supporters by suggesting he wants a “new challenge”.
- That comment preceded claims by agent Mino Raiola that his client wants to leave the club.
- Since then, Pogba has played a key part in all three of their pre-season matches.
- And Mata has now cooled interest of a departure by revealing that Pogba is “happy” at Man Utd.
Speculation peaked after super-agent Mino Raiola claimed he was in the “process” of finding Pogba a new club, but interest has relaxed in recent weeks, with the Parisian playing a key role in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s pre-season preparations.
He has started the previous two matches, including a 1-0 win over former Juventus coach, Antonio Conte, as the Red Devils ran out victors against Inter Milan, and Mata has now heaped praise on Pogba’s “positive influence”.
He told BBC Sport: “He’s a fantastic midfielder and he’s a very good guy, he brings everyone together.
“I think he’s happy. Obviously as a team-mate, and as a friend also, I would like him to stay and to be happy because he is a very good player for us.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Mason’s mature mentality
Turning his attention to another of his Man Utd teammates, Mata has been impressed with the goalscoring form of teenage talent Mason Greenwood this summer, suggesting his strong mental capacity has been the standout feature of his rapid ascent.
He said: “Mason has a lot of qualities and the most important one is his mentality.
“He’s hungry to improve and to give his all for the team.
“We are very happy he’s finding his feet in the first team and gaining confidence. I am sure he’ll score many goals for this club.”