Paderborn’s fight for survival in the Bundesliga continues on Saturday when they welcome Hoffenheim to the Benteler-Arena.
Steffen Baumgart’s team only returned to the Bundesliga for the 2019/20 campaign, having enjoyed successive promotions in the previous two campaigns (a revival following a period of turbulence).
But they now are bottom of the Bundesliga table, having amassed 17 points from 26 games. They are also six points behind Fortuna Dusseldorf in the relegation play-off spot after failing to close the gap last weekend when the pair faced off. A goalless draw ensured they did not drop further from safety. But with only 24 points left to play for in 2019/20, Paderborn need wins.
They may have a good chance of getting a one this weekend when Hoffenheim visit. Despite being ninth and having an outside chance of qualifying for the Europa League, Hoffenheim’s form is that of a relegation-battler. In their last six Bundesliga games, they earned just two points.
Last weekend, they were humbled 3-0 by Hertha Berlin, a reflection of the club’s struggles at both ends of the pitch. However, Hoffenheim do boast a positive record against the newly-promoted sides, unbeaten in their past six games including three wins in the first half of 2019/20 campaign.
Where to watch Paderborn v Hoffenheim on TV:
- UK: BT Sport Extra 1
- US: Fox Sports
Where to live stream the game:
- UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Paderborn vs Hoffenheim live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware.
- US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Paderborn vs Hoffenheim’s confirmed line-ups:
— SC Paderborn 07 (@SCPaderborn07) May 23, 2020
- Paderborn: Zingerle; Drager, Schonlau, Hunemeier, Collins; Gjasula; Proger, Vsiliadis, Antwi-Adjei, Jastrzembski; Srbeny.
Paderborn make just one change with winger Dennis Jastrzembski coming into the team.
🔵 LINE-UP ⚪
— TSG Hoffenheim EN (@achtzehn99_en) May 23, 2020
- Hoffenheim: Baumann; Kaderabek, Bicakcic, Hubner, Posch; Grillitsch, Rudy; Skov, Baumgartner, Zuber; Bebou.
Defender Kevin Akpoguma drops to the bench. Taking his place is Ermin Bicakcic.
Players to watch:
- Paderborn: Baumgart’s side have struggled in front of goal this season. Only two sides have scored fewer than their 30 Bundesliga goals, but Kai Proger has been trying his best to remedy that. Proger has been Paderborn’s creative spark this season, creating 38 chances in the Bundesliga, more than any of his teammates. Among those 38 chances are six assists, another club-high, and three more than any other Paderborn player. Add in his two goals, and the German midfielder has been directly involved in 26.67% of Paderborn’s total Bundesliga goal tally this season. Only Hoffenheim have been less reliant on a single player.
- Hoffenheim: After shipping three goals against Hertha Berlin last weekend, Oliver Baumann will want to get back on track to extend Hoffenheim’s impressive record against Paderborn. In the five competitive matches between these two sides, Hoffenheim are yet to concede a goal against Paderborn. That’s their best record against any team in professional football. Three of those five games have come in the Bundesliga, resulting in two wins and a draw for Hoffenheim, with Die Kraichgauer being the only side against whom Paderborn have failed to score in top-flight history. As for Baumann – the man who made more Bundesliga appearances (316) than anyone else in the decade just past – the goalkeeper has kept four clean sheets this season, including one against Paderborn earlier in the campaign.
Scoreline prediction: Paderborn 0-0 Hoffenheim
Bundesliga 2019/20 table and recent form:
- Paderborn: DLLLL
- Hoffenheim: LDLDL
1. Bayern Munich (58)
2. Borussia Dortmund (54)
3. Gladbach (52)
4. RB Leipzig (51)
The defending champions increase their lead at the top of the table to four points. pic.twitter.com/AE5dZRxl82
— Squawka News (@SquawkaNews) May 17, 2020