Borussia Dortmund travel to Paderborn on Sunday evening looking to put a big setback in their Bundesliga title push behind them.
Lucien Favre’s men were beaten 1-0 by Bayern Munich last time out and now sit seven points behind the Bundesliga leaders with just six games remaining.
As a result, their attention may turn to the teams behind them and the fight for Champions League football, with just four points separating them and Bayer Leverkusen in fifth.
There may not be a better opponent for Dortmund to get back to winning ways against, though. Hosts Paderborn are edging closer to the 2. Bundesliga with every game. They are currently eight points behind Fortuna Dusseldorf in the relegation play-off spot and haven’t won any of their last nine Bundesliga games, a run stretching back to a 2-0 win over Freiburg in January.
However, Paderborn may take heart from the three-match unbeaten run they are currently on, their longest streak without defeat this season. Not to mention Dortmund’s poor recent away record against promoted sides, losing four of their past six matches.
Where to watch Paderborn v Borussia Dortmund on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 1
- US: Fox Soccer 1
Where to live stream the game:
UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Paderborn vs Borussia Dortmund live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware. Odds or promotions within this article are accurate at time of writing (29/05/2020, 12.30pm)
US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Paderborn & Borussia Dortmund’s most recent line-ups:
- Paderborn (vs Augsburg): Zingerle; Jans, Hunemeier, Schonlau, Collins; Antwi-Adjei, Gjasula*, Vasiliadis, Holtmann; Mamba, Srbeny.
- Borussia Dortmund (vs Bayern Munich): Burki; Piszczek, Hummels, Akanji; Hakimi, Delaney, Dahoud*, Guerreiro; Hazard, Haaland*, Brandt.
Erling Haaland is expected to miss the trip to Paderborn after picking up a knee injury against Bayern. Thorgan Hazard is tipped to replace him through the middle, which would also open up a spot for Jadon Sancho. Mahmoud Dahoud is also out for the rest of the season due to injury, while Klaus Gjasula is suspended for Paderborn.
Players to watch:
- Paderborn: The goalless draw with Augsburg in midweek saw Streli Mamba return to the Paderborn starting XI following injury, and the 25-year-old striker will hope to keep his side in the Bundesliga. The German is Paderborn’s joint-top scorer in the Bundesliga this season, although he has only scored five goals, the last of which came at the end of November. Since then, 11 games have passed without a goal for Mamba, although the past two have a case of easing back to full fitness after the injury that ruled him out prior to the break. Alongside Mamba upfront, Dennis Srbeny will be expected to share the goalscoring burden, with the duo responsible for 12 of Paderborn’s 31 goals this season (including Mamba’s two assists).
- Borussia Dortmund: With Haaland likely to miss out, and Marco Reus still injured, the goalscoring responsibilities look set to fall upon Thorgan Hazard this weekend. The Belgian international has been a key member of Dortmund’s exciting side this season, albeit slightly overshadowed by the likes of Haaland and Sancho. Since his move from Borussia Monchengladbach last summer, the 27-year-old has been directly involved in 18 goals, scoring six and recording 12 assists – only Sancho (30) has been more involved among Dortmund’s squad. Hazard’s 12 assists is also only bettered by Thomas Muller (17), Sancho (16) and Christopher Nkunku (13) in the Bundesliga, despite the Belgian creating just 49 chances – the 11th-best in the league.
Scoreline prediction: Paderborn 0-3 Borussia Dortmund
Bundesliga 2019/20 recent form:
- Paderborn: DDDLL
- Borussia Dortmund: LWWWW