Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says Manchester United’s upcoming clash with Liverpool is the “perfect game” to face after losing 1-0 at Newcastle United.
It was yet another miserable away day for the Red Devils, who have now gone eight consecutive Premier League matches on the road without securing a win.
Man Utd’s recent struggles: Five key things to know…
- Man Utd have collected just nine points from their opening eight Premier League matches.
- It means the Red Devils sit just two points above the relegation zone.
- Their defeat at Newcastle United stretched their winless run on the road to eight matches (five defeats and three draws).
- Man Utd have also been struggling at home, winning just two of their last seven matches.
- Under-pressure boss Solskjaer nonetheless believes their upcoming match with leaders Liverpool is the “perfect game”.
The showdown at St. James’ Park was decided with 18 minutes remaining when Matty Longstaff’s driven shot flew past David de Gea, ultimately leaving Man Utd on nine points after eight matches played.
This marks the record 20-time English champions’ poorest start in the Premier League era and seeing fierce rivals Liverpool with an eight-point lead at the top of the table only makes matters worse for the club’s legion of fans.
Jurgen Klopp’s men are Man Utd’s next opponents when they visit Old Trafford after the upcoming international break and, despite their recent bleak run of form, Solskjaer feels coming up against the league leaders is an ideal scenario.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“That’s a perfect game for us. The international break is also at the perfect time because their heads need a bit of airing,” he told the BBC.
“They [Man Utd’s players] will go away with their national teams, meet their team-mates and come back fresh.
“We have had a good time together, we have prepared since the first day of pre-season, we have stuck to the same principles.
“We are never happy when we don’t win and we are going through a very difficult period.
“But it’s not too dissimilar a position to where we were last season where I was disappointed with the attitude, but the attitude here is spot on.”