Virgil van Dijk has revealed he has been “watching the development” of Bayern Munich defender Niklaswith great interest.
has emerged from the shadow of the likes of Mats Hummels and Jerome Boateng in recent years as Bayern’s main centre-back, winning two Bundesliga titles since joining from Hoffenheim in 2017.
How good canbecome? Five things to know…
- joined Bayern from Hoffenheim for £17m in 2017.
- The centre-back has won two Bundesliga titles since then.
- His form with Bayern has helped him become a mainstay of the German national team.
- completed more passes (2,379) than any other Bayern player in the Bundesliga last term.
- Van Dijk has revealed he’s been keeping track of ‘s progress for some time.
He has also become a key part of Joachim Low’s Germany side and faced Van Dijk in Die Mannschaft’s 4-2 defeat to Holland on Friday –‘s 20th senior international cap and the third time he’s faced the Uefa Defender of the Year for club and country.
Speaking after that game, Van Dijk admitted he has been keeping an eye onfor a while now, predicting a “great future” for the 24-year-old.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Germany can recover from their defeat to the Netherlands when they face Northern Ireland in their Euro 2020 Group C qualifier on Monday evening.
Low’s side sit second in the group, three points behind their next opponents and three ahead of the Dutch – albeit having played a game more.
will then turn his attention to domestic matters as his Bayern side travel to Bundesliga leaders RB Leipzig on Saturday.