Sergio Ramos has said “great players” like Paul Pogba will always be welcome at Real Madrid.
The France international outperformed every other Manchester United player last season in terms of Premier League goals (13) assists (9) and chances created (55).
Could Pogba replace Modric? Five things to know…
- Last season, Modric created 54 chances in La Liga, made 158 recoveries and had a dribble success rate of 58.89%.
- Pogba posted numbers of 55, 218 and 61.86% respectively in these metrics.
- Modric’s Real Madrid contract expires at the end of the current season.
- And Pogba was linked with a move there throughout the summer.
- Ramos says the “door is always open” at Real for players like Pogba.
Pogba has had a less than cordial relationship with United fans in recent months and had a verbal altercation with sections of the Stretford End after the Red Devils’ 2-0 defeat to Cardiff City on the final day of last season.
Pogba, who publicly expressed interest in a move this summer, was said to be a major Zinedine Zidane target for most of the summer transfer window, with Real Madrid seemingly keen to add extra options in midfield as the expiry of Luka Modric’s contract, June 2020, approaches.
The Croatian has since been linked with a move to Serie A giants AC Milan and although it is thought Real already have their sights set on Ajax playmaker Donny van de Beek in 2020, Ramos kept the door open on a move for Pogba taking place.
“I think Real Madrid always has the door open for good players such as him,” Ramos told the Daily Express.
“For me, Pogba is one of the great players. He is different and he has shown his value at Juventus and now Manchester United.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Ramos added: “I think he brings balance to a team. He has a great offensive influence and he has this amazing physique.”
Los Blancos have taken five points from their opening three games of the new season and face Levante on Saturday.