Chelsea winger Pedro has hit out at claims he labelled Virgil van Dijk and Sergio Ramos the two best centre-backs in the world.
In a recent press conference the Spain International was comparing the qualities of both defenders, but he believes his comments were misconstrued in the media.
Pedro’s Van Dijk comments: Five things to know…
- Pedro recently compared Virgil van Dijk to Sergio Ramos.
- He described both players as “very good central defenders, probably at this time at the top”.
- Several reports were released in the aftermath suggesting Pedro labelled them the best in world football.
- However, the Spaniard has now released an official statement to refute those claims.
- He has clarified that his all-time number one defender is former Barca teammate Carles Puyol.
Talking about the Real Madrid and Liverpool duo, Pedro branded them “very good central defenders, probably at this time at the top”, prompting reports to circulate that the Spaniard had labelled them the best on the planet.
However, the 32-year-old has now gone on record to reject these claims, revealing that his current “best” is Gerard Pique, but his all-time number one defender is Carles Puyol.
On his official Facebook account, he wrote: “Hello everyone, I want to explain to all my supporters that on yesterday’s press conference I did not say that Ramos and Van Dijk are the two best centre-backs in the world, as several media have said.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“I answered to the question of what differences I see between them, so I talked about their skills and said that both of them are in good shape.
“But if you are asking about who is the best, if I have to select only one I would say Pique because I think he is the best active nowadays. The best centre-back I’ve ever played with is Puyol and the one I’ve liked the most.
“I want to explain that because there are a lot of commentaries about this issue and does not fit to what I really said. Now it’s time to focus on tonight’s game.”
Pedro was speaking ahead of Chelsea’s European Super Cup match against Liverpool in Istanbul on Wednesday.