Tottenham Hotspur newcomer Tanguy Ndombele has revealed that Mauricio Pochettino’s words of wisdom helped convince him to join the Lilywhites.
Last season’s Champions League finalists staved off interest from a number of elite clubs to secure the French midfielder’s signature for a club-record fee.
Pochettino’s powers of persuasion: Five things to know…
- Ndombele became Spurs’ second summer signing after joining the club earlier this month.
- Spurs have finally replaced Mousa Dembele, who left for China in January.
- Club chairman Daniel Levy played a key role in brokering the deal after flying to Lyon to help conclude negotiations.
- Ndombele had initially sparked a continental tug-of-war between a number of elite clubs, but he ultimately opted for Spurs.
- He has now revealed that Pochettino “left a mark” on him with his motivational words.
The 22-year-old Parisian flourished at the Groupama Stadium last season and subsequently provoked interest from across Europe.
The likes of PSG, Liverpool, Juventus and Manchester United were all believed to have been in the race for Ndombele’s signature, but the France international has now revealed that Pochettino’s persuasive powers helped seal the deal.
Speaking to French publication L’Equipe, he said: “Tottenham have one of the best managers in the world. The fact that he wants you, it makes you want to come work with him. He was the one who shifted my decision.
“It is difficult to describe but he knows how to touch people, to leave a mark on people.
“He looked at me in the eyes and said: ‘come with me, I am sure that you will progress.’ It is these types of little things that made me want to sign over there.
“I could see that he really, genuinely wanted me, that he genuinely liked me.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“When I look at Tottenham, I see a big European club”
Ndombele went on to discuss the current project in north London, believing his new employers should be considered a “big” club on the European stage.
He said: “They have quite a young team. With very good players. When a club was a Champions’ League finalist this season, you have to look at their project.
“To put €70m on the table for me, it was a strong signal.
“When I look at Tottenham, I see a big European club. It is another dimension. To go to the next level, it was the best choice.”