A place in the third tier of English football is up for grabs when Morecambe and Newport County take to Wembley in the League Two Play-Off Final on Monday at 3pm (UK time).
The play-off semis gave fans a taster of what’s to come in the capital, with both sides playing out thrillers. Derek Adams’ Shrimps edged Tranmere 3-2 on aggregate, while Michael Flynn’s Ironsides were embroiled in a nine-goal spectacle against Forest Green, in which they ultimately triumphed 5-4.
How to live stream Morecambe vs Newport County online:
Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those who are interested in streaming Morecambe vs Newport County live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund your account.
- Navigate to the ‘In-Play’ link at the top of the homepage and select your desired event.
*Geo restrictions apply (not available for viewing in the UK or Ireland), 18+ only, must have a funded account or placed a bet in the last 24 hours, BeGambleAware. All odds and offers within this article are accurate at the time of writing (10:00, 31/05/21).
Where to watch Morecambe vs Newport County on TV:
- UK: Sky Sports Football & Sky Sports Main Event
- US: ESPN+
Scoreline prediction: Morecambe 2-1 Newport County
Compare football odds to get the best in the market using the Oddspedia tool below. Selecting a price will take you to the bookmaker’s sign-up page, where you can register, claim whatever welcome offer is available to new customers and place your bet. (18+ only, Be Gamble Aware)
Morecambe vs Newport County build-up, previous line-ups & injury news:
An extra point would have been enough to secure Morecambe progression to League One at the expense of Bolton, but football is a game of fine margins and the Trotters ultimately had their day in the sun on the final gameweek, meaning the Lancashire club must now seek promotion via a trip to the national stadium.
For the South Welsh outfit, a blistering start to the season, in which they won 11 of their opening 16 games set the wheels in motion for a promotion push, which they have maintained across the campaign, and having overcome a gruelling semi-final clash with Forest Green in extra-time, they are well-prepped for this tie.
- Morecambe (vs Tranmere): Letheren; Cooney, Lavelle, Knight-Percival, Gibson; Songo’o, McAlinden, Wildig, Diagouraga, Gomes; Stockton.
- Newport County (vs Forest Green): King; Shephard, Bennett, Demetriou; Lewis, Hartigan, Sheehan, Dolan, Haynes; Amond, Collins.
Jordan Slew and John O’Sullivan remain sidelined for the hosts, but Adams is once again able to call upon Kelvin Mellor, who missed the first leg against Tranmere through suspension but returned to the squad as an unused substitute for the reverse fixture. For Flynn in the opposite dugout, all three of the goals netted against Forest Green in their semi-final second leg were provided by substitutes, so the local tactician has much to consider for the venture east.
CLICK HERE to claim BetFair’s new customer offer. 18+ only. Place 5 x £10 or more bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100 bonus. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply. T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.
Players to watch:
- Morecambe: Few players have encapsulated Morecambe’s blistering rise to Wembley more than 22-year-old winger Carlos Mendes Gomes. The Senegal-born Spaniard, once a product of Atletico Madrid’s esteemed academy, comes with pedigree and a burgeoning reputation in the fourth tier. With 15 goals and six assists this season, it is manifest for anyone who has caught a glimpse of events at the Mazuma Stadium that Gomes is a level above League Two, with the greatest respect to the fourth tier. The wily winger will be hoping to move up the football ladder, whether by one rung, or many, but Morecambe fans will be hoping it’s with their club. Otherwise, Gomes could be hot property come the opening of this summer’s transfer window, with the likes of Rangers and Brentford thought to be monitoring the situation with acute attention. Newport full-backs beware!
- Newport County: As the division’s fourth-highest scorers, Morecambe’s game is based on the attacking enterprise of players like Gomes, but Newport’s approach is almost diametrically at odds with the Lancashire outfit, priding their game on defensive resilience and discipline, underpinned by the fact they boast the third-best defensive record in League Two. Instrumental to that cause has been Mickey Demetriou, who has appeared in all but one of the club’s league games this season, providing a near ever-present authority that has stabilised Flynn’s backline and made Rodney Parade a daunting ground to visit for goal-hungry strikers.
More live stream options: