Arsenal left-back Nacho Monreal has swatted away suggestions he could leave Arsenal despite the club’s strong links to Celtic defender Kieran Tierney.
The Gunners activated a one-year extension on Monreal’s contract last season, but speculation of a move to La Liga has been rife these past few weeks.
Could Monreal leave Arsenal? Five things to know…
- Arsenal triggered a 12 month extension on Monreal’s contract in January.
- Unai Emery has been heavily linked with a move for left-back Kieran Tierney.
- The club have reportedly had a bid in the region of £25m rejected by Celtic.
- Should Arsenal improve their offer and a deal materialise, Emery would have three senior left-backs on his books.
- Despite this, Monreal has batted away rumours of a departure from north London.
Celtic star Tierney has seen his name heavily associated with a move to the Emirates, but Arsenal have so far proven to be unsuccessful in their efforts to lure the Scotland international down south.
Meanwhile, Real Sociedad have an interest in seasoned Spaniard Monreal, but the 33-year-old has played down talk of a move back to his homeland just yet.
“That’s all rumours,” he said. “I belong at Arsenal. I still have a contract.
“My idea is to stay here.
“It’s a great club and I feel really comfortable playing for Arsenal. My idea is to continue playing here.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Monreal backs Arsenal board
The Arsenal hierarchy has come in for some scathing criticism from a large proportion of the match-going Arsenal fanbase in recent times, with many taking an exception to a perceived lack of investment in the current playing squad.
However, Monreal has now declared his “trust” in the board, believing the club’s makers and shakers are working around the clock to bring in new players.
“I trust in the club,” he explained. “Obviously a few players decided to retire – Petr Cech, [Stephan] Lichtsteiner – and other players changed.
“That’s how it works in football. One day you’re here then you’re in another place.
“But 100 per cent the club is looking for new players. They will come.”