Borussia Monchengladbach will look to get their top-four hopes back on track on Sunday afternoon when they host Union Berlin.
Marco Rose’s side have failed to win their past two Bundesliga games, losing to Bayer Leverkusen before drawing against relegation-battlers Werder Bremen in midweek.
The mini slump means Gladbach are now fifth, two points behind RB Leipzig and three behind Leverkusen, although the latter already opened the gameweek with a 1-0 win over Freiburg on Friday.
Gladbach will overtake Leverkusen on Sunday with a win, but standing in their way is a Union Berlin side dangerously close to the relegation battle. The capital club, fighting for a second season in the Bundesliga, are currently 13th and just four points clear of Fortuna Dusseldorf in the relegation play-off spot.
Like Gladbach, Union’s form has been poor. They are without a win in their past five, a run that includes three defeats. But the visitors can take hope from their previous record against Gladbach, winning the 2000/01 DFB-Pokal semi-final as well as the reverse fixture earlier this season.
Where to watch Borussia Monchengladbach v Union Berlin on TV:
- UK: BT Sport 1
- US: Fox Soccer 1
Where to live stream the game:
UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Borussia Monchengladbach vs Union Berlin live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this link.
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
*Geo restrictions apply, 18+ only, must have a funded account, BeGambleAware.
US: Readers based in the States can try Fubo, who are currently running a free trial offer.
Borussia Monchengladbach & Union Berlin’s confirmed line-ups:
- Borussia Monchengladbach: Sommer; Lainer, Ginter, Elvedi, Bensebaini; Hofmann, Neuhaus; Stindl; Herrmann, Plea, Thuram.
- Union Berlin: Gikiewicz; Friedrich, Schlotterbeck, Subotic; Trimmel, Gentner, Promel, Lemz; Ingvartsen, Andersson, Bulter.
Gladbach are without Tony Jantschke, who picked up his fifth yellow card of the season last time out. Robert Andrich is also suspended for the visitors after being sent off against Mainz in midweek.
Players to watch:
- Borussia Monchengladbach: With Jantschke out through suspension, Rose could recall Ramy Bensebaini to fill the gap on the left side of Gladbach’s defence. A summer arrival from Rennes, who previously had a trial at Arsenal under Arsene Wenger, Bensebaini endured a slow start to life in Germany but once he had fought his way into the Gladbach back line, only injury could stop his progress. Alongside Stefan Lainer on the right, Bensebaini has been part of one of the best full-back pairings in Europe this season. On his own, Bensebaini has been directly involved in six Bundesliga goals this season, scoring five times and adding one assist. But he has also been doing his bit defensively, averaging 1.79 tackles per 90 minutes and maintaining a relatively low rate when it comes to being dribbled past (0.63 times per 90).
- Union Berlin: One of the men that will be tasked with keeping Bensebaini quiet is Union captain Christopher Trimmel. The 33-year-old has played all but two of Union’s Bundesliga matches this season, turning up both as an ordinary right-back and at wing-back. With 57 tackles made and being dribbled past just 0.7 times per 90, Trimmel has proven himself tough to beat on Union’s right. But, like Bensebaini, Trimmel is also a big threat going forward. No Bundesliga player had created more chances from set pieces than Trimmel (39) going into this gameweek. The skipper also leads the way for Union in both chances created overall (56) and assists (seven), and has also been the creative hub in the past three games, creating four chances (although this has not helped Union return to winning ways yet).
Scoreline prediction: Gladbach 2-0 Union Berlin
Bundesliga 2019/20 recent form:
- Borussia Monchengladbach: DLWWL
- Union Berlin: DLLLD