Former Barcelona striker Samuel Eto’o believes Mohamed Salah’s playing style is more compatible with the Catalan club than Liverpool.
Salah has been in stellar form since relocating to Merseyside in 2017 with his goalscoring exploits yielding 71 goals in 104 appearances, including 50 strikes in his first 69 Premier League games.
Salah to Barca? Five things to know…
- For the second successive season Salah clinched the Premier League Golden Boot.
- As such his name has been associated with a move to La Liga, with Real Madrid emerging as a possible destination.
- Club legend Graeme Souness has already conceded Real or Barca could poach Salah.
- Ernesto Valverde is expected to bolster his attacking armoury this summer.
- And ex-Barca forward Eto’o has now urged Salah to join the likes of Lionel Messi at the Camp Nou.
The 27-year-old netted in the Champions League final victory against Tottenham Hotspur earlier this month, and links have now surfaced over a possible move to Real Madrid.
Under Zinedine Zidane, Los Blancos are experiencing a galactico-style rebuild this summer, but Eto’o, who emerged from the club’s academy, has told Salah to elevate his game with the Blaugrana.
He said: “Barcelona would be a better fit. Real gave me the opportunity to leave Africa but I know Barcelona’s style and I think it would be better for him.
“If he has the chance to play in the best league of the world, which is the Spanish one, he has to sign for Barcelona.
“Mo has everything to be one of the best players in the world.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Salah at Afcon
Before any transfer speculation can be put to bed or materialise, Salah will first look to clinch the Africa Cup of Nations with Egypt.
The Pharaohs are the competition’s most successful team having won the trophy on seven occasions, dating back to 1957.
With this year’s instalment of Afcon taking place on Egyptian soil, Salah will no doubt feel his nation can once again prevail.
They got off to the perfect start on Friday in their opening Group A match against Zimbabwe with a 1-0 win courtesy of Mahmoud Hassan.
Egypt’s next match is against DR Congo on Wednesday evening.