Football News

Mauro Icardi lawyer issues statement as striker sues Inter Milan

By Mohamed Moallim

Published: 14:42, 31 August 2019

The lawyer of Mauro Icardi says his client wants to remain at Inter Milan despite ongoing legal action taken against the club.

Following the summer arrival of Antonio Conte as Nerazzurri manager, Icardi has been frozen out.

Why is Mauro Icardi suing Inter? Five things to know…

  • Stripped of captaincy last year after his wife and agent Wanda Nara made disparaging comments about Inter’s management and players.
  • He was linked with a move to Napoli but manager Carlo Ancelotti has publicly conceded that he’s got “no regrets” after failing to land him.
  • Icardi has not taken part in pre-season friendlies and was out of the squad for their opener against Lecce.
  • It has been widely reported Icardi is suing Inter for €1.5m over ‘discrimination’ after being left out of Antonio Conte’s training sessions.
  • His lawyer says the legal action is “not about money”, but rather to be involved in first-team matters at Inter.

A turbulent 2018/19 campaign saw Icardi stripped of the club’s captaincy after his wife and agent Wanda Nara made public comments criticising Inter management and their players amid fraught, and ultimately failed, contract negotiations.

The player would end last season having scored twice in nine league matches after being internally suspended for six games. The powers that be were content to see him depart if the right price arrived, but Icardi has not been keen to leave and was awarded the number seven jersey for the 2019/20 campaign.

Conte, though, did not involve him in their pre-season preparations as well as training sessions. Legal proceedings, claiming €1.5m in damages, have since been opened due to ‘discrimination’. His lawyer Giuseppe Di Carlo says Icardi did not initiate the claim and sought to clarify the situation while adding that their motive is not financially-based.

Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.

“I want to clarify that the request for damages is a necessary consequence of the legal action and not a personal initiative by the player,” he told Sport Mediaset.

“It would’ve been an incomplete document without requesting at least 20 per cent of the salary as compensation. Once you take that action, the issue of compensation becomes obligatory.

“It’s a situation where money is irrelevant, because what Icardi wants is to be an integral part of the Inter project. How is it possible in two months of pre-season training he hasn’t taken part in a single friendly?

“Now we must wait up to five days for the tribunal to accept the case and I think they’ll wait until the transfer window has closed on Monday evening. Obviously, if Icardi were to complete a transfer, the legal action would be dropped.”

“No regrets”

Icardi’s present deal with Inter expires in June 2021.

Since joining from Sampdoria in July 2013 he’s gone on to he’s gone on make no fewer than 219 appearances registering 124 goals and creating a further 28.

However it seems his time at Inter could be coming to an end and there were a couple of clubs interested this summer notably Napoli who saw a prospective move break down.

Losing out on a serial goalscorer would disappoint most, but not manager Carlo Ancelotti.

“I don’t know anything about Llorente, I’m not interested in the transfer market,” he told reporters.

“I have to think about something else but if he comes, I’ll be very happy. As for Icardi, I have no regrets.”