Robin van Persie has urged Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to “choose a position” for Paul Pogba.
The former Red Devil marksman commented following Man Utd’s 1-1 draw with rivals Arsenal at Old Trafford on Monday evening.
Where is Pogba’s best position? Five key things to know…
- Pogba returned to Man Utd in 2016 after enjoying four trophy-laden seasons at Juventus.
- At the Italian powerhouse, he nominally played in a midfield three.
- Since becoming a Red Devil again, Pogba has been utilised across their midfield.
- Van Persie believes he and Solskjaer need to sit down and decide his best position.
- He also feels Pogba is best as a ‘number eight’, floating between the defensive midfielder and No. 10.
There were doubts regarding Pogba’s availability following an injury he sustained in their recent League Cup game against Rochdale.
Those fears were allayed with the France international starting alongside Scott McTominay in Man Utd’s central midfield.
Since returning to Old Trafford, after enjoying four illustrious seasons at Juventus, there’s been a growing debate regarding how to get the best out of him.
Under two different managers –Jose Mourinho and now Solskjaer – Pogba has played in various midfield roles, with Van Persie the latest to offer his opinion, though he feels the player and his manager must sit down and map a way forward.
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
“For him, the coach, for us, for everyone, it’s just important to choose a position,” he told Optus Sport.
“Choose where you think, and the coach thinks, he plays the best football for himself and for the team.
“I would play him not as a defensive midfielder, and not as a number 10 but in between – [the] number eight position.
“So, he still has his freedom, he’s not judged then on 20-plus goals a season, if he scores 10-plus goals, makes assists, everyone will look differently at him then, but it needs to be clear for everyone.”