Paul Pogba will miss Manchester United’s Carabao Cup quarter-final clash with Colchester United on Wednesday with illness, despite being seen dancing at his brother’s wedding at the weekend.
The midfielder has been sidelined since September with an ankle injury but was thought to be nearing a long-awaited return to fitness after telling a photographer he will be back in action “soon”.
When will Pogba return to action? Five things to know…
- Despite interest from Real Madrid, Pogba remained at Old Trafford in the summer.
- But the Frenchman has made just six appearances in all competitions this season.
- Pogba has been sidelined since September with an ankle injury but is nearing a return to fitness.
- However, despite being spotted dancing at his brother’s wedding, Pogba will miss Wednesday’s clash due to illness.
- Pogba created more chances (55) than any other United player in the Premier League last season.
Pogba was celebrating his brother Florentin’s wedding on Saturday the day before United’s 1-1 draw with Everton and was spotted dancing, but manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has now revealed he will miss Wednesday night’s clash at Old Trafford.
“Of all things [Pogba’s] struck down ill now so he’s been off for two or three days, so that’s not beneficial and has set him back a bit,” Solskjaer said.
“As I’ve said many times Paul’s a top player, who we want to see playing his best football at Manchester United. We just need to get him fit. We’re working hard to get him back but now he’s ill.”
Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel here.
Pogba was subject to intense transfer speculation linking him with Real Madrid over the summer, with he and Los Blancos manager Zinedine Zidane sharing a number of admiring glances.
The 2018 World Cup winner remained in Manchester in the end but has made just six appearances for the Red Devils across all competitions this season.